Feeders and roosting bars.

Heartsopenwide

Songster
Jan 23, 2021
36D783B5-CFF5-4A02-B2D9-82E747AD16A1.jpeg
My coop is coming along. An upgrade from my small coop on stilts. Hopefully the metal roof is going on today. The inside will have corrugated metal for the bottom section, and old barnwood for the upper section. It has an attic/loft for storage. Plans for linoleum flooring. There are windows on opposite sides, not pictured. Debating on PVC pipe for the feeders or the Grandpa’s Feeder...we get a lot of rain in the winter where I live...and I want dry food. Husband was talking about having the roosting bars be like ladders that can hook to the ceiling when the coop is being cleaned. He looked up designed for roll away nesting boxes. My AdorStore brand automatic door is in the box waiting to be installed. Can you please share your roosting bars and feeders?

Husband was talking about having the roosting bars be like ladders that can hook to the ceiling when the coop is being cleaned.

Sorry no pictures, but my favorite roosting bars were 2x4's (skinny side up) that slid into stud hangers (metal pieces attached to the wall--cheap at any hardware store.) They stayed in place very well, but were easy to lift out at cleaning time.

I probably shouldn't be this mean to you, I'm sure you are looking for something quite different. This first photo shows my main roosts, two tree branches over my built-in 3' x 6' brooder. The top of the brooder is my droppings board. I put plastic bins on the coop floor to catch the droppings where the brooder did not reach. They don't look like it here but they are about the same height considering that tree branches aren't always straight. The one in front is forked.

Main Roosts.JPG

This shows how I attached them so they are removable. I drilled a hole and dropped a large nail in to hold it in pace and keep it from rolling. They are easy to take out with a hammer if the get stuck. They are a little tight.

Roost Nail.JPG

The one below is my juvenile roost, a 2x4 on edge. I integrate a lot. To stop the juveniles from sleeping in the nests I installed this juvenile roost to give them a safe place to go that is lower than the main roosts, horizontally separated by a few feet, and higher than the nests. It's a horrible design but was built late when I saw the need for it. The top of the nests are my droppings board for this, since they are piecemeal they are hard to scrape. That's the bad design.

Juvenile Roost.JPG

This is the best shot I have of my feeder. I get free buckets from the deli section of a local grocery store and cut holes in them maybe 2-1/2" in diameter so the chickens can stick their heads in to eat. They still spill some so there is some waste. They are not perfect but they are free.

Feeder.JPG

You will find that we all do different things for roosts and feeders. My main suggestion is to make them convenient for you. The chickens can adjust.

I don't have pictures handy, but I built a roosting ladder that lifts up and can be fastened to the ceiling for cleaning. I attached large dowels at either end and one in the middle that act as the hinges. If I remove the center dowel (it operates like a retaining pin), I can remove the entire roost, which I have never (in over a decade) had the occasion to do, but it sounded like a good option while I was discussing (with myself) how best to do this in the design phase.
The roost is made of 2x4s with the edges cut to a bevel on the long axis and I placed plastic tubs under the roost area for ease of cleaning. I have had no complaints and it works at least as well as I had hopped.

I probably shouldn't be this mean to you, I'm sure you are looking for something quite different. This first photo shows my main roosts, two tree branches over my built-in 3' x 6' brooder. The top of the brooder is my droppings board. I put plastic bins on the coop floor to catch the droppings where the brooder did not reach. They don't look like it here but they are about the same height considering that tree branches aren't always straight. The one in front is forked.

View attachment 2532294

This shows how I attached them so they are removable. I drilled a hole and dropped a large nail in to hold it in pace and keep it from rolling. They are easy to take out with a hammer if the get stuck. They are a little tight.

View attachment 2532304

The one below is my juvenile roost, a 2x4 on edge. I integrate a lot. To stop the juveniles from sleeping in the nests I installed this juvenile roost to give them a safe place to go that is lower than the main roosts, horizontally separated by a few feet, and higher than the nests. It's a horrible design but was built late when I saw the need for it. The top of the nests are my droppings board for this, since they are piecemeal they are hard to scrape. That's the bad design.

View attachment 2532295

This is the best shot I have of my feeder. I get free buckets from the deli section of a local grocery store and cut holes in them maybe 2-1/2" in diameter so the chickens can stick their heads in to eat. They still spill some so there is some waste. They are not perfect but they are free.

View attachment 2532301

You will find that we all do different things for roosts and feeders. My main suggestion is to make them convenient for you. The chickens can adjust.
I like the natural branches!

Back
Top Bottom