Feeding Meat Birds

capebird

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Cape Cod
It's been a couple of years since I've raised meat birds and need to refresh my memory on the feed. What I do remember is during first few weeks feed 20% or higher in protein and then reduce to 16-18%. I bought pellets and used a coffee grinder to make a mash of sorts. I've been doing some looking but can't seem to find the pellets at a higher protein. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a brand or 2 (or exact product). I can find crumbles but not pellets. Thanks for the help....or any other suggestions.

I bought pellets and used a coffee grinder to make a mash of sorts................... I can find crumbles but not pellets.
The way they make chicken feed is to first gather everything they want to be in it, then grind it to a powder called mash. To make pellets they wet that powder to form a paste and force it through a dye. They flash dry that and break them off so you have pellets. To make crumble they partially crush pellets. If you are going to grind it to make a mash of sorts, it does not matter if you start with pellets or crumbles. What matters is the analysis.

Back
Top Bottom