Feeding My Flock Without Commercial Poultry Feeds

Lilly,

My family used to do what you are striving for although in my opinion two acres you have is too tight for producing more eggs than required for a household or two. This especially holds true during the winter months when even though birds are not confined because the forage is harder to get at and the cost of getting at it increases in respect to energy birds must invest. The importing of food scraps will help a lot as would importing grains that you feel do not violate your feeding rules. The next problem will come in the form of where the birds roost and loaf, especially during the winter months. Wastes associated with non-feed based nutritional sources will produce feces not conducive to keeping birds at higher densities than typical of free-ranging where natural foods dominate nutrition. Those complete feeds help keep birds from needing to disperse so much. Protein will be your first limiting problem to lick as you push flock size on that 2 acres.
I have noticed that poop consistency has changed since starting to feed food scraps. They still have pelleted feed right now but are given the choice between that and the food scraps. For the most part they are choosing the food scraps. When I purchased the property I realized it would not support chickens totally on it's own. My goal is to have 16 layers and a few ducks. The whole property is fenced, I would let them just roam as we have a lot of forested area behind our property but there is a small trailer behind us and they have two very large yellow labs that would very much like to eat my birds so for now they are confined to the property. If they ever put their property on the market we would buy that and then it would be 5 acres total we had and the back of our property would end at the woods so I could let them roam through there as well.

I have had chickens here for quite a few years. Right now I have 32 layers and 19 ducks and they all do well together without stressing the land during the warmer months. Going to cut back my chickens and ducks this year a bit to make the size of my compost pile more feasible. We were given quite a few birds last year when a neighbor died that I wasn't planning on so I need to restructure look at who is staying and who is going. I produce between 12 and 22 eggs a day from the chickens and 4 eggs a day from the ducks (wasn't expecting them to start laying until spring). Winter is the time I am most worried about and I will definitely be paying close attention as winter gets here. My goal is to add an enclosed run with roofing that I can block from the wind and snow in the winter to make the cold a little easier to bear. I live in Vermont and right now we are swinging from single digits down to -20 to -40 below zero which means they want to spend most of their time in the coops or my large hay barn since those act as natural wind breaks. I have heard that with a run with a roof you can add dried grass from mowing and hay or straw to help hold the heat into the ground to make it easier for them to scratch and forage.

It's all just in the planning stage right now. I know it's not a problem in the spring summer and fall as they have been naturally going off their feed in those months and just eating what they find on the property plus the food scraps I give them. It's going to be all about if it is something I can make work in winter. It might not be who knows.

Look into mixes of grains and the like used by parties trying for organic. Such would supplement protein intake of your birds. Also consider making so your compost area has more surface area / perimeter birds can get into. Sixteen chickens and four ducks will still find 2 acres tight. It is sad that those yellow labs can't leave your birds alone or even protect them. If you buy those additional 3 acres the chickens will need protection as provided by dogs if chickens to forage that area. Also woodland with closed canopy with heavy snow cover most valuable to chickens for food during spring, summer and fall, not when you need it.

Most of what I see about non-commercial feed is for adult birds. What about starting chicks? I know that the best raiser of natural chicks would be a hen and plan to get there eventually. But this spring I'll be starting with 10 day old chicks (chosen and raised for egg laying, not meat, although we'll eventually be eating some) I'd like to hear from someone who has successfully raised chicks without using chick starter commercial feed--I want to start them the way I intend to keep them.
I have plenty of space and lots of wild things growing, compost piles and vermicompost bin, whey from making cheese from our goats' milk. Can buy whole grain oats and wheat locally--have been growing wheat fodder for rabbits and goats this winter.
I know all the reasons folks given why they choose to feed commercial chick starter or other commercial feeds and am not interested in arguing about it. Just looking for someone with more experience than I have with feeding chickens more whole foods.

I would go out of your way to use hens to rear and to have one rooster present. You will be pushing system already making to medicated feed normally the best approach. Broody hens could disperse foraging chicks enabling natural food items to meet needs. Also breed later in season June or later. Coccidia will be your biggest challenge as you are pushing into realm where such becomes a real problem with so many adult birds packed in using natural forages already.

Back
Top Bottom