Feeding new flock of 3 ex-batt hens

Loopyoldcoop

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 13, 2013
Hi Focks,

Hope you can help. I have had our 3 girls since Saturday. All seems great with 2 of them laying the very next day and all 3 laying yesterday. So not stressed at all with the upheaval it seems. My concerns is am I feeding and watering them correctly.

I have been giving them the laying mash recommended, but yesterday I introduced Mixed Corn into it (Approximately) 5 parts Mash to one Mixed Corn and a small treat of dried meal worms

I have also mixed one whole clove of garlic and 5 ml Apple Cider Vinegar into our 6.5 Litre water feeder.

Our run is made of natural dirt and sharp sand which I thought would give them enough natural grit, should I do more?

Just for our own reasurance from some better experienced hen keepers.

Daisy our youngest daughters hen seemed a little docile this morning. She was the most active, using the dusk bath and pecking at the other two often. But yesterday afternoon (Monday) she was laying down alot and this morning stayed in the coop. I have been advised to give her a full check over (Check her legs, comb and vent) and what to look for, so I will do that this afternoon when I get back home today from work.

Last edited:
Hi Focks,

Hope you can help. I have had our 3 girls since Saturday. All seems great with 2 of them laying the very next day and all 3 laying yesterday. So not stressed at all with the upheaval it seems. My concerns is am I feeding and watering them correctly.

I have been giving them the laying mash recommended, but yesterday I introduced Mixed Corn into it (Approximately) 5 parts Mash to one Mixed Corn and a small treat of dried meal worms

I have also mixed one whole clove of garlic and 5 ml Apple Cider Vinegar into our 6.5 Litre water feeder.

Our run is made of natural dirt and sharp sand which I thought would give them enough natural grit, should I do more?

Just for our own reasurance from some better experienced hen keepers.

Daisy our youngest daughters hen seemed a little docile this morning. She was the most active, using the dusk bath and pecking at the other two often. But yesterday afternoon (Monday) she was laying down alot and this morning stayed in the coop. I have been advised to give her a full check over (Check her legs, comb and vent) and what to look for, so I will do that this afternoon when I get back home today from work.

Mayu, my lovely wife just called to let me know Daisy is up and about, feeding and drinking although not staying on her feed, knowing she is up is good news. Check her out later.

You seem to be doing alright. I would watch how much mixed corn you put in their feed as most is lower in protein then they need to lay well. What is in your mixed corn? I assume that it is a mix of grains that most call scratch feed. The ground in the run sounds as if it will provide enough small stone for the grit they need. The one that was lethargic may just be a case of delayed reaction of the move, or it could be the on set of a problem set off by the stress of the move. Time will tell on that.

Hi Den,

Thanks, it's good to get someone that has more experience saying we're doing OK. I will start using the Corn Mix (Which is with grain) as a ground spread treat they can peck at.

Daisy seems OK, My lovely wife phoned me at work to tell me she did get up and was OK enough to eat, drink and give the other two a peck or two. She is a touch loose though so I do believe she has a tummy issue. I have some Happy Tummy product being delivered soon, so I hope that helps.

I read a suggestion to hang some corn on the cob to give them something to do, should I cook them a bit first or use them fresh and raw as I have read both.

During the sweet corn season I'll just give it to them raw, no need to cook. I also give them dent or field corn dry on the cob during the winter. I don't bother to hang it. They are occupied just by chasing it around as they peck at it.

Back
Top Bottom