Feeding the flock for free

Mar 8, 2019
AL, USA
Want to get creative here and find sustainable, low-to-no cost ways to feed our chickens without commercial grain products. What ideas do you have? šŸ˜ƒ

I have several large flocks of chickens, 130+ total. I usually alternate which flock free ranges daily so they can forage for additional food. But despite plenty of space its slim pickings this time of year, (drought all summer and had our first freeze already so everythingā€™s dead, southern Alabama).

One idea is fermenting feed. I do it for the health benefits more so than the savings of the feed, but it does fill them up.

The other thing is if you have room, I grow hard red winter wheat in trays. I soak a cup of them overnight, then keep them damp and in a few days I feed "grass" to the birds. You could try it with large cookie sheets, but those probably would take two cups worth.

Most people won't do this, but you could grow your grain. The dairy farmers here all grow their own hay, soy, and corn, so it is done on a large commercial level.

Grow Mandinka Bride corn or Hopi Blue corn. Grow an old variety of wheat, and an old variety of oats (more nutrition, less carbohydrates), also sunflower seeds. Amaranth might work well where you are.

Want to get creative here and find sustainable, low-to-no cost ways to feed our chickens without commercial grain products. What ideas do you have? šŸ˜ƒ

I have several large flocks of chickens, 130+ total. I usually alternate which flock free ranges daily so they can forage for additional food. But despite plenty of space its slim pickings this time of year, (drought all summer and had our first freeze already so everythingā€™s dead, southern Alabama).
Ignoring that it likely won't be balanced diets, you likely can't feed a flock for free unless you already have feral flocks in your location

With a flock of 130+ it's bound to deplete the forage unless they are in tractors and moved regularly over a very large area (more than 40 acres). The previous ranged on areas would require replanting and time to recover.

To me this is not "backyard" manageable. It requires year round growing so is very climate dependent as well as space demanding.

Even if it's all managed appropriately to accommodate so many birds todays birds aren't bred like grandmas birds. They have vastly different nutritional needs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom