Feeding the flock

Owenp_2

Songster
Jul 27, 2020
Middle of North Carolina
Hey everyone, I have three hens about a year and half old that stay in my larger chicken coop. I bought five female chicks from the feed store about five weeks ago. My other chicks are about a week old from a hatchery. I took one of the big nesting boxes and transformed it into a sleeping quarters for the feed store chicks in the coop to separate them from the small chicks and the big hens at night. There are 12 chicks in the brooder right now and they are being feed chick feed. However, the chicks in the coop are eating the layer feed with the hens. Is this okay since I am still letting the chicks free range for a few minutes a day? I have been mixing in a little chick feed with the layer feed about twice a week.

Chicks shouldn’t eat layer feed, that is too much calcium for them.
The whole flock can be on chick feed as long as you offer oyster shells as a free choice for the hens laying.
Okay, thank you. Do you think that giving the older hens eggshells would provide enough calcium? I am on a budget because I have to pay back my parents for a loan. I recently bought two cows so I am trying not to spend a ton of money right now.

Okay, thank you. Do you think that giving the older hens eggshells would provide enough calcium? I am on a budget because I have to pay back my parents for a loan. I recently bought two cows so I am trying not to spend a ton of money right now.
Personally, yes. Sometimes, I will put out oyster shells when the flock is on chick feed and the oyster shells are hardly touched.

Back
Top Bottom