Feeling overwhelmed...

PluckyJen

Songster
7 Years
Jun 22, 2016
South Africa
Good evening everyone.
I have 2 silky hens and 2 silky roosters.
Boys have gotten along since birth as well as mums. Now we have mums with their babies at 12 weeks. It's all going pear-shaped. The moms want to kill eachother if I try put them together and they attack each other's babies. Which is fair in logic. Protective. So we have had them in different coops since babies were born, each mom with their babies. Boys have been free ranging around the property.
Well today it went pear-shaped and I guess the hormones kicked in. The boys beat eachother up, it was blood everywhere, comb injuries and feet. Cleaned them up and doctored them. They sulked a bit then went at it again. We broke it up and they are sleeping in seperate quarters.

Any suggestions on the situation? Do I integrate the ladies back with them and keep babies separate being 12 weeks now? The roosters are quite rough with the moms I won't lie. I hate this mating thing. It's traumatic. Feels like everyone hates everyone at this point.

How many chicks? How many of the chicks are cockerels? How much space do you have?

Remove at least one or both of the roosters. The 12 week old chicks do not need their mothers. The mothers have weaned them.

A lot depends on how much space you have, how many chicks you have. But a stressed out flock is no fun as you are discovering. And from what you said, I think you would be much happier with just a hen flock, at least for a while.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom