Female Muscovy Won't Leave Nest

Amalthea666

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
Hi All, I'm fairly new to Raising Ducks.
I have a female Muscovy and a male Saxony x Mallard.
Both are 10 months old.
The female (Amalthea) has been sitting on an egg she laid this morning at 10:15am.
She hasn't moved all day. She's giving me the squeak sounds and I'm a little worried.
When I managed to get her off the nest, the male (Huckleberry) chased her around the yard.
Is this normal?
Just to add, is it because she's been sitting on the nest all day that she just wants to sit?
As I said, a bit new to this and need some guidance.
Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Broody. Muscovies are known for being broody. 10 mo is a little early for that though, but it happens. The male chases her around since he hasn't mated with her all day. I would take the egg and destroy the nest. It's quite early for brooding and these first eggs usually aren't as viable. It's a task to break broody muscovy. :thumbsup

Broody. Muscovies are known for being broody. 10 mo is a little early for that though, but it happens. The male chases her around since he hasn't mated with her all day. I would take the egg and destroy the nest. It's quite early for brooding and these first eggs usually aren't as viable. It's a task to break broody muscovy. :thumbsup
Appreciate the advice.
Hoping she'll be in a better mood tomorrow.
Just getting worried because I'm trying to work out the signs in behaviour.
This is her second clutch. She started laying an egg almost every day at the beginning of July. She stopped at the end of July for about 2-3 weeks, then started again around 20th August. This time she is very broody. And the chasing around the backyard started with this clutch.

Back
Top Bottom