Fermented Apples?

In theory, the fermentation process has already used up a lot of what makes the apple valuable as a nutrition source, leaving moisture (which they can get anywhere), cell walls/fiber (which is not as beneficial to chickens as it us to us - and something a free range chicken can readily obtain on its own), residual beneficial bacteria (acetobacillus primarily in making vinegar), and trace minerals/vitamins the acetoB didn't convert into acetic acid or dissolve into the now more acidic environment.
Do you have an idea if the alcohol level in fermented feed? I'd guess it varies by the batch but maybe there is a range. You do a lot more research on foods and feeding than I do.

Also alcohol evaporates faster than water or many other liquids. How fast it evaporates would depend on surface area and temperature so some variables. I wonder how fast the alcohol content might drop.

From the "potential constraints" section of Nutritional Aspects onf Feedipedia:

Ethanol is the main fermentation end product in apple pomace silage, with reported ethanol content as high as 17% of DM. It had thus been recommended to limit the quantities of pomace fed to livestock, or to feed it for relatively short periods (Alibes et al., 1984). In a silage made of whole, crushed apples, the ethanol level reached 22-29% of DM, which may have been caused by yeast alcoholic fermentation. It was impossible to decrease the pH, and the silage could not reach a stable state: it was, therefore, recommended to add a dry and fibrous material such as straw up to 30% of the DM (Rodrigues et al., 2008).

That's a lot of variability. I have no experience making wine, or hard cider, but when brewing beer, it was hard to find a yeast that did well at alcohol contents much over 6% - there are some varieties (famed for it) from Belgium which do nicely, but most of what you find in the air doesn't. Sourdough ranges from 2-5% (which is pretty typical of common yeast strains), but as it settles out, the clear liquid which rises to the top (the "hooch") can get up to 15%, because the alcohol is lighter than water and much lighter than hydrated flour. So my suspicion would be that if you had an alcoholic ferment from yeast, you would be in the table beer range (3.5% +/-) with a thin skim of higher alcohol content liquid at the very top (depending on how long the mash was allowed to sit and settle out), which could be carefully poured off or floated out by introducing water thru a hose to the bottom of the bucket and allowing it to overflow the top briefly.

But that's all theory from very limited experience.

Unless pumace has different definitions in different places, pumace is after the juice (or oil from some fruits) is pressed out - not after fermenting.

I think this ^^ is right.
No, you are right - they are fermenting after the pumace has been made - but pumace itself is already pretty low value nutritionally, and then the sugars are converted to aclohol and then acetic acid in the process of creating vinegar. Leaving not much to recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom