Fermented layer feed for for 3 wo chicks?

MrPaw

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Zone 8a Washington, North Carolina
I use fermented layer feed for a mixed flock of one roo and 5 hens. My question is can this also be used for three week old chicks, all pullets? Also, I know the roo to hen ratio is low. It was 1:7. Hoping this will work out until the 14 pullets mature in the fall.

I wouldn't.
The rooster, pullets and chicks all should not be eating all that extra calcium.
You'd be better off feeding fermented chick starter, All Flock or Flock Raiser to the entire flock and putting out one or two containers of oyster shell for the active layers and be done with it. No change would ever be necessary.

I wouldn't.
The rooster, pullets and chicks all should not be eating all that extra calcium.
You'd be better off feeding fermented chick starter, All Flock or Flock Raiser to the entire flock and putting out one or two containers of oyster shell for the active layers and be done with it. No change would ever be necessary.
:goodpost:

As @DobieLover said, NO. Absolutely not.

Calcium Toxicity is a progressive pathology. Its bad for your roosters, its bad for all your point of lay birds.

Additionally, the nutritional needs of growing birds are at their highest in the first weeks of life. "Layer" feed is usually fomulated to provide the (adult) nutritional minimums at the lowest possible price. End result? Adult birds which may be healthy, and which may look healthy, but will NEVER perform to their potential.

High Methionine levels will help birds form connective tissues early on, and are critical to the development of the tissues which make up the gut (intestines, etc). Birds which get a good start on Met (0.6%+) are more feed efficient all their lives, less prone to joint issues and injuries, slightly larger in size, and better layers than those which recieve the adult minimum (0.3%). I can link studies.

High Lysine levels contribute to muscle development, particularly in the breast. Birds that get a good start (0.9%+) will be larger, denser, less prone to illness and injury, better muscled than those that get the adult minimums (0.6%). They also grow faster.

Together, the two contribute to feather development as well - more attractive birds overall.

Back
Top Bottom