Fighting cocks

Littlelargeheart

Hatching
Feb 20, 2021
Hello. I just got done reading the article regarding cock fighting. I recently introduced a new rooster to my coop. They are both pretty docile towards me and very sweet. They have decided that they don’t like each other though. I figured I would have to let them figure it out I just want to make sure I am doing everything right. They have tangled a couple times now and I just broke it up because I am unsure of safe practice. So the bigger guy seems to get the other one pinned and then just stands there on top of him, is this safe? He isn’t going to suffocate him is he? I am hoping to learn more about the body language I should be looking for. Please help!
ETA; I have 8 hens. 3 pullets up and coming.

I would separate them for now. The one getting stood over may very well get his eyes pecked out or worse, killed by the larger one. This is especially true with game type chickens. If possible give each of them a few hens.

I would separate them for now. The one getting stood over may very well get his eyes pecked out or worse, killed by the larger one. This is especially true with game type chickens. If possible give each of them a few hens.
There is no pecking involved. He just stands there.

Hello. I just got done reading the article regarding cock fighting. I recently introduced a new rooster to my coop. They are both pretty docile towards me and very sweet. They have decided that they don’t like each other though. I figured I would have to let them figure it out I just want to make sure I am doing everything right. They have tangled a couple times now and I just broke it up because I am unsure of safe practice. So the bigger guy seems to get the other one pinned and then just stands there on top of him, is this safe? He isn’t going to suffocate him is he? I am hoping to learn more about the body language I should be looking for. Please help!
ETA; I have 8 hens. 3 pullets up and coming.
That may just be the beginning, it could get much worse.

Why do you need 2 males?
How old are these birds, in weeks or months?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

Welcome to the forum, gad you joined.

How old are they? That can make some differences in how they interact, now and in the future.

What you describe isn't unusual. It's not that they don't like each other. When two males of a certain maturity meet in a flock they are going to decide who is the dominant flock master. Sometimes this means a fight to the death. Sometimes they reach an accommodation on how they are going to manage the flock. But they will know which one is boss.

What often happens is they they fight for a while but one decides running away is a better option. So if he has room to run away and get away they are much more likely to work out an accommodation than if they are trapped too closely together. How much room you have can make a big difference. I'm not talking about that silly 4 square feet per chicken in the coop and 10 square feet in the run in these circumstances but enough room to get far away and avoid the other. Preferable out of sight either because of distance or, because of clutter, he has something to hide behind.

If one can't get way but really wants to they will often lay down and protect their head. Pecking the head is a good way to kill another chicken, that's what they often try. That's a little unusual to me that your one just stands over the other and doesn't peck. He is demonstrating his dominance by pinning the other down. He won't suffocate the other, the danger is if he decides to peck.

Will one kill the other or will they work out an accommodation? I don't know.

You purposely brought in the new rooster. The only reason you need even one rooster is that you want fertile eggs. Anything else is personal preference. Nothing wrong with personal preference, I have a few myself. Why do you want two boys? What are your goals? What do your facilities look like? There are ways to manage that but it would really help to know your goals and what you have to work with to make reasonable suggestions.

Good luck and once again, :frow

Chickens finding rivals should be normal. But if you are really concerned about them, when you see them fighting again, you could distract them with a ball of treats or like some noises. Sometimes when my chickens are fighting, I just throw a banana at them and they go wild for the banana and forget about the fight. Sometimes I would try tapping loudly at something or just make an uncommon sound. If it really gets too serious with the fights, you might just have to separate them completely.

Welcome to the forum, gad you joined.

How old are they? That can make some differences in how they interact, now and in the future.

What you describe isn't unusual. It's not that they don't like each other. When two males of a certain maturity meet in a flock they are going to decide who is the dominant flock master. Sometimes this means a fight to the death. Sometimes they reach an accommodation on how they are going to manage the flock. But they will know which one is boss.

What often happens is they they fight for a while but one decides running away is a better option. So if he has room to run away and get away they are much more likely to work out an accommodation than if they are trapped too closely together. How much room you have can make a big difference. I'm not talking about that silly 4 square feet per chicken in the coop and 10 square feet in the run in these circumstances but enough room to get far away and avoid the other. Preferable out of sight either because of distance or, because of clutter, he has something to hide behind.

If one can't get way but really wants to they will often lay down and protect their head. Pecking the head is a good way to kill another chicken, that's what they often try. That's a little unusual to me that your one just stands over the other and doesn't peck. He is demonstrating his dominance by pinning the other down. He won't suffocate the other, the danger is if he decides to peck.

Will one kill the other or will they work out an accommodation? I don't know.

You purposely brought in the new rooster. The only reason you need even one rooster is that you want fertile eggs. Anything else is personal preference. Nothing wrong with personal preference, I have a few myself. Why do you want two boys? What are your goals? What do your facilities look like? There are ways to manage that but it would really help to know your goals and what you have to work with to make reasonable suggestions.

Good luck and once again, :frow
Thank you so much. This was extremely helpful. Their Coop is a 20x10 repurposed dog kennel and they have a rather large L shape run attached with lots of plants and a few bushes so lots of hiding spots. I have recently been doing some repairs on the fencing so they were cooped up. They aren’t as of today. I got the second male for a couple reasons. He needed a home, was the main motivation. I have been around chickens my whole life but this is my first experience with two males. They are both fairly young around 2. I got them both as rehomes. So I don’t know their exact ages. Both are silky crosses. You have given me so much to work with. hopefully now that the run is open for business they will just go their separate ways. Thank you again!

Pay attention cause if one tastes the blood of the other it probably won't stop then till ones dead. Chickens are very cannibalistic

Back
Top Bottom