Filling gaps in the coop: best materials?

becstalls

Crowing
13 Years
May 22, 2010
Indiana, PA
Basic question: will chickens try to eat silicon caulk?

Hello all, as we fix up our coop, there are a number of gaps that need to be filled to prevent drafts. When we built the coop, the wood we had was still green, and as it has sat, it has developed some cracks, gaps, and knot holes. The knot holes are easy to fix with a small piece of wood. But the cracks not so much. I know the chickens will try to eat expanding foam. Will they try to eat caulk?
26B04A25-D963-447C-97A1-3CE5241F6239.jpeg

I would only cover the larger knot holes with 1/2" hardware cloth on the inside.
Minor shrinking cracks are not going to be a big deal. Just more ventilation. You can use spray foam in the seams at roost height then trim it off and sand it flat on both sides.
Can you post more pictures showing the upper walls?
And the outside showing the roof design?
Do you have a sketch showing the interior layout of the coop?
How many windows will you be installing? Top hinged?
How many birds do you plan to house?
What are the dimensions of the coop?
It looks like a solid structure.

Sorry for the delayed response. @DobieLover Here is the coop from the outside. It measures 8ft x 8ft. The roof has open soffits covered by hardware cloth at the front and back for ventilation.

1679419112997.jpeg

1679419466887.jpeg

There is also a window on the back side. It currently has no glass in it, but it the missing glass will be replaced with plexiglass then the outside covered with a hardware cloth screen for when it is open.
1679419265182.jpeg

Here are some more pictures of the coop. Circled are the cracks and knotholes I’m talking about, plus the gaps around the door. My concern is that they will make it too drafty in the winter. Currently, the roost bars are taken down, but one of them is a full 8ft long and crosses the front of the window. I’ll probably add a smaller ladder-type setup adjacent to the door as well.
1679419034716.jpeg

Some of those are definitely to big. Mink, weasel could easily get inside. You could cover them with HC, but that wouldn't stop the drafts.
From the outside, I'd screw thru the siding into a 1x4 board inside placed over the holes and cracks. Use appropriate length screws, as someone with have to be on the inside holding the board in place, and you don't want to drive a screw into someone's hand.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom