Finally that first egg...and there seemed to be signs

stantheman1

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
Hello everyone. This is my first post to the forum. I am so excited because we FINALLY got that first egg.
big_smile.png
I have read so much on here about people waiting and I gathered that you can do everything humanly possible but, in the end, they will lay when they are ready. So we did just that: everything we could do and then waited. I have been expecting to go out and just find an egg. But here is what happened.

1. Our small flock of is all spring chickens. The last few days they have seemed a little more feisty.
2. Our buff orpington seemed to be whining this morning. Whether that is what she was actually doing I do not know but I never heard her make that sound before.
3. I then saw her in the coop later in the morning and she was just rooting around. I told my wife that I thought she would lay today.
4. We went out this afternoon and she was exactly where she was supposed to be. In the nesting box with an absolutely beautiful golden brown egg that was not quite full size but bigger than we thought it would be. We had some fake eggs and she somehow removed it from the box and then laid her own in its place.

I am a first timer with chickens having only started this year with a very small flock of 6 of various breeds. But I have spent enough time with them to know that there seemed to be clear signs that something was happening.

The moral of the story? For the sake of sounding like a broken record, be patient. But also look for subtle signs. At least that is what I saw. As I said before, in the end, the eggs will come...and the wait was most definitely worth it.

And on another note, THANK YOU Back Yard Chickens for all the help and info. I got virtually all of my info from you all from the design of my coop to care, feeding, and everything else that has just seemed to work almost to perfection. You have been indispensible!

I spent months reading all the old posts, researching, dreaming, planning before I got the chickens. The only thing I couldn't control was my reluctant spouse, in completing the coop in a timely manner. I designed the coop, and my DH and DS built it. Our chickens were 9 weeks old when we finally got them out of the basement! Like you, my adventure so far has gone well, thanks to all the expert advice on BYC. I am so glad this forum is here!

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
thumbsup.gif
congrats on the egg! and
How old was your BO?

Not exactly sure because we got her from another local chicken farmer who had like 60 or so that he hatched at various times this spring so he could not give us an exact hatch date. But what a wonderful reward for the wait.

I agree with what you said. I just got my first egg yesterday from my EE. She has always liked to "whine", but the last few days she has been extremely vocal and talking up a storm much more than usual. I thought she was just lonely or felt like talking so I've been talking back and she rewarded me with an egg
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom