Firing All My Broodies-UPDATED with Baby Pics

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
Gave a broody 7 hatching eggs 21 days ago. She was in with her pen buddies, and someone kept pecking holes in the eggs until we were down to 2 (three counting the one i put tape over the end). Gave these eggs to a broody in another pen and kept finding her off the nest and sitting on other unfertile eggs. Kept putting her back on. Now today, Day 21, i let everyone out and find she has bolted off the nest and one of the eggs is peeping and pipping.

i had an incubator fired up in case of problems, so put the eggs in there. But i really want a broody to take over. Set up a nest in the shed in a hutch with some eggs. Took broodies one by one into the hutch to see if any would set (thinking i would switch out the non-fertile with the hatching ones). But seems the new surroundings unbroodied even the most devoted of them, and each of them screamed to get out.

So i have those three eggs in the incubator in my kitchen. After all the eggs have been through, i'm surprised any are still alive. i hope i don't end up with just one lonely little chick.

Last edited:
sad.png
Geez! And it being spring and time to be broody! I have buff orpington's and last year I had two broody at once. Now I couldn't get one to go broody if I wired her legs together!

OMG! i can't believe it! The one egg that had been pecked open on the end, that i put a piece of tape over, is PIPPING! The first egg that pipped is still chipping away. i see two Porcelain D'Uccle babies in my future!

Well, the little chick from the taped egg is out and chirping it's lungs out. We got sidelined with an egg-bound hen early this evening - helping her pass a large egg on our kitchen counter, with the newborn chick screaming in the background. But this little chick is a fighter. She is helping the other egg hatch, pecking at the crack as the chick zips around the egg.

What an egg-citing evening!

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

i think you will have very good luck. All my babies hatched, and all were fertile. i feel bad for the ones that got pecked open, but glad i found that one recently pecked and used the tape. Anyhow, here are some pics:

First hatchling, waiting for her brother to come out and play:
waitingforherbrother-1.jpg

Here he comes:
lifewalksin.jpg

Baby pics:
babiessmall1.jpg

babiessmall2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom