First chicks - impacted crop??

Cll0711

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
Hello! This is our first set of chicks. They are approx. 4 weeks old. They have feathered out a bit and it is quite warm here in SW GA, and so yesterday our chicks had their first outdoors outing and moved from the brooder box to coop. We have 8 buff Orpington pullets, and 1 that we were told is an Ayam Cemani pullet which is black & white and was given to us by the hatchery for free due to the less than ideal coloring. We have endearingly named this chick Cookie. All of them have seemed active, healthy, eating/drinking, pooping, no pasty butt issues. They were VERY ready to get out of the box and into the coop, and seem to be really enjoying it so far. We also have incorporated a small amount of chick Grit and meal worms as a treat for the last 2 days (maybe just about 2 worms each, not much). Yesterday when we brought them outside, I noticed that Cookie’s crop appeared larger than the other birds. It seemed improved this morning. But I noticed it again this afternoon. Both times around 4pm. Cookie is smaller than the other birds, so I was wondering if her crop is just more prominent now. It feels firm but mobile / slightly spongey. She seems to be acting normal, eating and drinking. She had 2 large, well-formed poops while I was watching her this afternoon - one the usual green/brown with a white cap, and one orange-ish (Cecal poop?). I have held off on any treats and Grit today, they only feed on organic chick starter. I will attach photos of the chick. Does this appear normal / part of the digestive process after eating all day? Should I be concerned about crop impaction if it does not appear smaller in the morning? Should I be massaging and try olive/coconut oil?
Thanks for any advice or tips on how to help our Cookie!
80D25B2F-4A68-4A38-A67E-A61C30FAA369.jpeg
54A80BD3-C746-4B92-B816-418AC6EAC678.jpeg

Her crop is fine, however that's not an ayam cemani at all
Both are good to know! Thank you!
The hatchery does breed them - he called it a “Lamborghini chicken” which I believe from my limited Google knowledge is that he was referring to an Ayam Cemani. He said that every now and then they get a “discolored” one. However, I would know no better! I would certainly take y’all’s experienced word for it. In any case, we find her adorable and a welcome member of the flock - even if she’s the odd one out! 🤗

Yup, it looks like she's just eaten a lot. I've heard that if the birds go to sleep with a full crop and come morning still have a full crop, then it's something to be concerned about, but since you're saying her crop appears normal in the morning that indicates everything is working like it should.

Back
Top Bottom