First crow

chickinlittles

Songster
7 Years
Jul 13, 2014
Today I heard a real crow. Three times! It wasn’t very loud but it was a real crow. I believe it is from my White Face Black Spanish Salvadore Dali , he has definitely been looking like a roo. He’s about 8 weeks old and one of my favorite birds in our 13 bird mix breed flock. I was outside the coop when it happened and could see who dun it!!
So I am really only supposed to have hens and not Roos where I live, but he is very special. First these birds are on the endangered list and I have a hen too to I’d like to breed them, second a nice Roo will protect my flock and keep the girls inline but the real reason I have to keep him is he is a lap chicken and we are very bonded. As a day old chick he jumped into my hand to be held and hasn’t stopped. I know that can change sometimes with age and hormones but I’ll have to wait and see. I ordered a couple no crow collars and I am hoping that that will help the situation I can’t bear to part with him. We live in the backcountry with 2.5 acres there are roosters crowing all around from adjacent communities, just seems rediculous to me. I’m more concerned about ticking off my immediate neighbors. Anyone who has had this experience and can lend some comforting comments, I’d be so greatful!

Attachments

• BD08BC2B-A944-4633-A9B2-B9895068B3C4.jpeg
    BD08BC2B-A944-4633-A9B2-B9895068B3C4.jpeg
    472 KB · Views: 6
I have had roosters before and even when we couldn’t hear it inside our house our neighbors could somehow. I would try a no crow collar for you little roo.

I have had roosters before and even when we couldn’t hear it inside our house our neighbors could somehow. I would try a no crow collar for you little roo.
Some people have an amazing ear when it comes to hearing things they don't like lol.
Today I heard a real crow. Three times! It wasn’t very loud but it was a real crow. I believe it is from my White Face Black Spanish Salvadore Dali , he has definitely been looking like a roo. He’s about 8 weeks old and one of my favorite birds in our 13 bird mix breed flock. I was outside the coop when it happened and could see who dun it!!
So I am really only supposed to have hens and not Roos where I live, but he is very special. First these birds are on the endangered list and I have a hen too to I’d like to breed them, second a nice Roo will protect my flock and keep the girls inline but the real reason I have to keep him is he is a lap chicken and we are very bonded. As a day old chick he jumped into my hand to be held and hasn’t stopped. I know that can change sometimes with age and hormones but I’ll have to wait and see. I ordered a couple no crow collars and I am hoping that that will help the situation I can’t bear to part with him. We live in the backcountry with 2.5 acres there are roosters crowing all around from adjacent communities, just seems rediculous to me. I’m more concerned about ticking off my immediate neighbors. Anyone who has had this experience and can lend some comforting comments, I’d be so greatful!
I would try to talk to those neighbors and try to reach an agreement if that doesn't work,correct me if I'm wrong,not sure if I'm reading it wrong but you have 2.5 acres of land,if possible you could move the coop further from the neighbor's house so they won't have to listen to the loud crowing and you wouldn't have to use a no crow collar in the roo

Some people have an amazing ear when it comes to hearing things they don't like lol.

I would try to talk to those neighbors and try to reach an agreement if that doesn't work,correct me if I'm wrong,not sure if I'm reading it wrong but you have 2.5 acres of land,if possible you could move the coop further from the neighbor's house so they won't have to listen to the loud crowing and you wouldn't have to use a no crow collar in the roo
Hey thanks for your responses, moving coop isn’t an option . The roosters I hear all day are in the community next to ours so moving to another spot in property will just make someone else take notice. I hear a neighbors hens that are a block away. Living in the backcountry sound carries quite far I’m hoping that I can’t make this work for our situation and that if I can’t, someone would like to have him for breeding. I am interested in trying to get this breeds numbers increased . It would be great to have a back up plan in the event I am forced to rehome Sal or if one of my other 12 turn out to be Roos. I have a couple that might be. I am not in Facebook so I don’t have those sources. Don’t care much for Craig’s list either.

Back
Top Bottom