First ducks - should I hatch or buy ducklings from a hatchery?

It sounds bad but my 3 year old found a nest that had been attacked on the hiking trail and we took the remaining eggs back to incubate. A lot of people dump their unwanted ducks there and from the looks of it they are Indian runners and anconas. Maybe, if it is within your comfort level, check some of your local parks in the wooded areas?

Attachments

• 20200525_102942.jpg
    20200525_102942.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 5
It sounds bad but my 3 year old found a nest that had been attacked on the hiking trail and we took the remaining eggs back to incubate. A lot of people dump their unwanted ducks there and from the looks of it they are Indian runners and anconas. Maybe, if it is within your comfort level, check some of your local parks in the wooded areas?
I personally love hatching. I hated the thoughts of my girls being shipped hatched and lost some. If it weren’t for the horrible ratio possibilities (which I indeed had) I would only hatch. Even with the losses, it isn’t near as bad as losing one that has already been hatched and alive for a few days. I will say though that the incubator definitely matters!
I have hatched shipped chicken eggs for years. I've had some great hatches and some 0 hatches.
On a whim I ordered 12 Ancona duck eggs off Ebay. They were shipped from CA to my home in FL.
This is the first time I attempted to hatch ducks and I had little hope for them.
I was shipped 12 eggs, 1 was cracked and one was clear at 7 days but 10 were developing. This morning I woke up to 10 fluffy ducks in the hatcher. Surprised is an understatement. Definitely one of my success stories.
So if you are unsure of hatching, take a chance. My incubator is not an expensive one but I watch the temperature and maintain the humidity.

Back
Top Bottom