First egg, Brown Leghorns, Barred Rock 19 weeks

Nana210

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2022
We have 9 Brown Leghorns and 10 Barred Rock hens plus one BR rooster. They were all 19 weeks old yesterday. We got our first white (Leghorn) egg yesterday and this morning when I went out, there was another white egg outside, in the run, and three more brown (Barred Rock) eggs inside in the same nesting box! Exciting to be getting eggs! Just wanted to let others know the ages at which they laid their first eggs. We started our chicks on starter feed and then switched them to layer feed in the last month. They have free access to feed all the time and we give them a scoop of scratch feed nearly every day. We do not free range due to predators. We have lots of coyotes in our area. We do give the chickens green clippings quite regularly, which they love. Eggs are mostly pretty small, but who cares at this point, we have layers! Photo shows first two days of eggs. One was pretty good sized. We are excited.

Attachments

• 0584C976-86B8-4429-B8E6-EA34B786C0E6.jpeg
    0584C976-86B8-4429-B8E6-EA34B786C0E6.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 18
Pullet eggs are often small to start. They will get bigger as their systems settle in. You may also see other oddities early on- double yolkers, etc. Nothing to worry about. Congrats on the new layers!

We have 9 Brown Leghorns and 10 Barred Rock hens plus one BR rooster. They were all 19 weeks old yesterday. We got our first white (Leghorn) egg yesterday and this morning when I went out, there was another white egg outside, in the run, and three more brown (Barred Rock) eggs inside in the same nesting box! Exciting to be getting eggs! Just wanted to let others know the ages at which they laid their first eggs. We started our chicks on starter feed and then switched them to layer feed in the last month. They have free access to feed all the time and we give them a scoop of scratch feed nearly every day. We do not free range due to predators. We have lots of coyotes in our area. We do give the chickens green clippings quite regularly, which they love. Eggs are mostly pretty small, but who cares at this point, we have layers! Photo shows first two days of eggs. One was pretty good sized. We are excited.
Congratulations ! We have just had our first ones this last weekend as well!! How awesome !

Awesome! I’m patiently waiting for mine to lay.

Back
Top Bottom