First Egg(s)!!! (pictures included), Questions: TWO at the same time with soft shell and not in nesting box

Basia St Clair

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
Alabama
My Coop
My Coop
I was a little overzealous - here are my questions:
Here is the issue (see pictures)
1) She laid TWO eggs at the same time, one with an extremely soft shell and one not fully formed. Since i have oyster shell calcium and layer feed not sure what else to do.
a. I've heard this can happen while they "work things out" for laying. Do the pictures look "normal" for first lay? Anything else i should be doing? Is two eggs out of one bird normal?
2) She laid them right under the perch in all the poop!!! I want here to lay them in the nesting boxes.
a. Suggestions?

I know some of you experienced chicken owners will have a chuckle at this:

One of my girls laid her first egg(s) today and its my FIRST EGG(S) EVER!!!. I've been waiting five months for this. I've been checking everywhere for the last 2 weeks for eggs ...... and FINALLY. Started clucking, I'm so excited!!!! It is sooooo cooool!!!!:wee

Now onto the "i need assistance" part to ensure I guide my chicks to the "right" egg laying practice :D

Started feeding chickens "Scratch and Peck" layer feed at 18 weeks (2 weeks ago). Chicks are now about 20 weeks.
They do have free choice oyster shell calcium.
There are two nesting boxes with golf balls in them. Opened nesting boxes to them at about 17 weeks.
Noticed that my TSC ISA Brown, named Fried, started "squating" when i would reach for her so knew she was about to lay.
IMG_20200826_065335701.jpg IMG_20200826_065323460.jpg IMG_20200826_065654680.jpg

Here is the issue (see pictures)
1) She laid TWO eggs, one with an extremely soft shell and one not fully formed. Since i have oyster shell calcium and layer feed not sure what else to do.
a. I've heard this can happen while they "work things out" for laying. Do the pictures look "normal" for first lay? Anything else i should be doing?
2) She laid them right under the perch in all the poop!!! I want here to lay them in the nesting boxes.
a. Suggestions?

Cant explain how thrilled I am, just "new mom" worried about getting her healthy enough to lay proper eggs!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom