First Hatch Almost Complete (Advice seeking thread)

MrJudeRaw

Chirping
Jul 25, 2023
PNW Willamette region WA
So now that my first hatch is wrapping up (Celadon Coturnix). I am wondering what I should be aiming to review to increase my hatch rate. Honestly I feel like everything is so in the air with it being my first hatch I am having a hard time taking anything away from the experience.
Some facts:
Eggs were purchased from some dude on CL
I started with 13.
3 look like they quit part way through or were not fertilized
4 have hatched (pipped on the hour for day 17 and hatched before the end of the day)
the other 6 eggs really dont look like there is much going on (day 18 still)
So if no more chicks hatch that leaves me with 4/13 (30%) rate. Currently 6 are still in the incubator and it is still day 18 but I have more eggs that have to be incubated and I cant wait on them too much longer so my fingers can only cross so much.
1 was born with the cord still attached (came off fine with a bit of time but I know that is not good either way)
2 pipped downward and took about 20 hours to zip
1 was born the most unbothered quail anyone ever saw.

Ultimately I am confident in my temp readouts using multiple censors + onboard NR360 readouts. but I could be wrong who knows. its a govee set so.
average 48% humidity
average 99.3f temp

lockdown had a drop to 98.5F and 20% humidity for a couple hours because i put shop towels in and covered the entire surface area. I removed them and the humidity jumped to 70-80% and the temp to 99.1-100f which stayed the general average.

I had no real temp/humidity swings that lasted very long or were very drastic aside from the few humidity drops during the first two weeks.
I guess I could message the guy I bought the eggs from to chat about their average hatch rates, nutrition, etc.
My best guess would be that my turner was not really built for quail and they may have not been very well positioned. The early pip on the 2 makes me think it may have been too warm at times but the one born with the cord attached indicates it may have been too cool.

This being my first time I am definitely not beating myself up but I know there is something to learn but I am just not seeing anything I can do to improve my next batch. it kinda feels like I need to try again and if it happens again then start tweaking things.

also, is there any more info I should be tracking / better way to present the information?

Last edited:
I would lower your humidity. I have best results at about 30% humidity during incubation and up to about 60% at first pip.

Celadons may not be your best option for great hatch rates as well. In my experience, my celadons have somewhat lower hatch rates than my others.

Ok. I am probably going to have to dry run it then. when the thing was running "dry" it was about 23% and any water added was an automatic 45%+.

I was unaware that Celadons had potentially lower hatch rates. Blue shell go brr I guess.

Ok. I am probably going to have to dry run it then. when the thing was running "dry" it was about 23% and any water added was an automatic 45%+.

I was unaware that Celadons had potentially lower hatch rates. Blue shell go brr I guess.
Blue shells are more likely to crack, and just more fragile in general. If there's a tiny crack in the egg, the embryo is far more likely to quit early or just not develop at all.

Back
Top Bottom