First hatch!

CorgiHouse

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 4, 2010
Boring, OR
I just had my first hatch of quail, and I'm having lots of fun being entertained by their antics!! They are definitely different than chicken chicks. LOL

Now that we've succeeded to incubate and hatch some quail, I have a few questions.

We got 50 eggs that were advertised as Jumbo Coturnix. Aren't the jumbo always the wild brown color? The first one that hatched looks like he's tuxedo color/markings. The rest are all the chipmunk striped chicks in varying shades of brown/golded/reddish colors.

What percent is considered a good hatch rate for these guys? Out of those 50 eggs, 30 hatched. I'm happy with 30 chicks, but 60% does seem kind of low. Is that average or not?

Feed: how long does everyone recommend grinding the starter feed for the newly hatched? They are eating, drinking and running around doing great!

Thanks everyone!!

Quote:
JUMBOS COME IN ALL COLORS

50% HATCH ON SHIPPED EGGS IS CONSIDERED GOOD, 60% WOULD BE VERY GOOD

I NEVER GROUND STARTER FOR COTURNIX OR BOBS? THEY SEEM TO DO FINE FOR ME AS IS???

Quote:
JUMBOS COME IN ALL COLORS

50% HATCH ON SHIPPED EGGS IS CONSIDERED GOOD, 60% WOULD BE VERY GOOD

I NEVER GROUND STARTER FOR COTURNIX OR BOBS? THEY SEEM TO DO FINE FOR ME AS IS???

Thank you for the info JJ. These eggs were not shipped. We drove to pick them up locally. That's why I thought 60% was a bit low....

That's good to know you don't 'have' to grind the food. In doing my research beforehand, I understood that practice seemed to be the general concensus for new hatchlings.

Many Do Grind Food... Its Necessary For Buttons, But I Havent Ever Had To Do It With Bobs Or Coturnix... Each 1 Has Their Own Ways Of Doing Stuff... Some Things Are Mandatory, Some Are Recomended, Some Condemned... Many Are Negotiable In This Rating
smile.png

I do for buttons but don't a lot of the bigger chicks as long as the crumble is small. I have gotten bags I ground cause I didn't think it was crumbled enough. Keep your eyes on them. If they are fat happy and get quiet sometimes not frantically running and chirping constantly then you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom