First one to lay now boss chicken?

baysidechicks

Songster
Apr 9, 2020
So my small flock of four pullets all came at the same time as chicks. I have a Golden Comet, Lakenvelder, and two Polish. The Comet and Lakenvelder are laying, neither of the Polish girls are even close yet. So I've noticed that the Comet (who was first to lay) is becoming quite the big chicken around the coop. The Polish girls scurry away from the food when the Comet comes to eat, and I've seen the Comet chase one of the Polish girls away from some good treats like veggies. The other Polish did peck at the Lakenvelder, who looked astonished and pecked back, and they squared off for a few moments but the Lakenvelder prevailed. So is it common for the laying hens to be bossier/higher up the pecking order than the non laying pullets? Once the other girls start laying, will the pecking order get shuffled around?

Hi there. Yes, perfectly normal although the Comet seems to be a bit of a bully if she’s chasing off the Polish. If she becomes a tyrant you can separate her for a few days and then reintroduce. Usually they all kind of settle in once they’re all laying though. My older birds don’t allow the younger to eat with them until they’ve begun to lay but don’t chase. If your birds are all the same age then they’re still establishing the pecking order a bit.

Back
Top Bottom