First owner didnt treat toms broken leg

Jul 5, 2022
Lexington nc
We got a turkey and his previous owner had hit him with a baseball bat, due to him flogging her small children, and broke his leg. Needless to say, it never got treated....at all. He was limping before, but it's even worse now. When we got him, the guy snatched him up by his legs šŸ˜­ and threw him in a cage. šŸ¤¬ when we got home, he was limping badly. Worse than before. I am not sure what to do for him, due to it being broke almost a year ago. Any and all suggestions are extremely welcome and needed. He is still getting around, but is now limping worse. He isn't putting pressure on it at all. It is swollen, buy we haven't tried to catch him and look at it. He's a big boy, and still new, and I'm at a loss for what to do for him. I want to wrap the leg, but don't know if that will hurt him worse, or make it better. This is our first turkey, and was only taken in because the previous owner was going to shoot him. We love him and just want him to have a good long, happy, and healthy life. He's not even 2 years old yet. Please can somebody tell me how to help this gorgeous sweet boy? Thanks in advance. Please send my poor turkey good vibes, prayers, or whatever you do. He needs it. I do NOT want to put him down unless it's the only option. šŸ˜¢ I think he looks pitiful, limping around, but he seems to not care much.

Wow! Thank goodness you have this poor turkey now.

The first thing is you're going to have to get him at night as chasing him around obviously is going to do no good. Have a large old blanket or beach towel with you to wrap him up snug in it. You need to inspect that leg and see if you can see anything causing the swelling. It is strange that a year later he'd have an infection in there, but see if it feels hot. I'd try soak it in warm Epsom salts too if that's possible as that might bring the swelling down a little.

After you determine what's wrong, if it doesn't seem infected, then maybe splinting or taping it to help immobilize it so it can heal? If it seems infected, he's going to need an antibiotic.

I'm wondering if that broken bone is moving around in there. If that's the case, he probably would either need surgery or somehow have to live with a splint on it or taped.
Once you figure out what's causing it though, you can then know better what to do to help him.

I wish you luck with him and hopefully, we can figure out how to help him. :hugs

Wow! Thank goodness you have this poor turkey now.

The first thing is you're going to have to get him at night as chasing him around obviously is going to do no good. Have a large old blanket or beach towel with you to wrap him up snug in it. You need to inspect that leg and see if you can see anything causing the swelling. It is strange that a year later he'd have an infection in there, but see if it feels hot. I'd try soak it in warm Epsom salts too if that's possible as that might bring the swelling down a little.

After you determine what's wrong, if it doesn't seem infected, then maybe splinting or taping it to help immobilize it so it can heal? If it seems infected, he's going to need an antibiotic.

I'm wondering if that broken bone is moving around in there. If that's the case, he probably would either need surgery or somehow have to live with a splint on it or taped.
Once you figure out what's causing it though, you can then know better what to do to help him.

I wish you luck with him and hopefully, we can figure out how to help him. :hugs
Thank you so much. I'll catch him tonight. I'll definitely keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom