FIRST SUCCESSFUL BROODY AND HER "SISTER" IS A PECKER!

cajuncluckerswla

Songster
May 21, 2020
So excited I just have to share real quick! Our girls have gone broody. 4 of them at the same time to be exact, and we just had our first ever broody babies at our place make their appearance!!!!!!!
2 of 4 survived and dried out, and on Mother's Day morning I walked out to a 5th baby still wet. The girls, however, rejected that little singleton and one gave it a pretty rough peck on the cheek. So that baby is not pictured with them and is in the house as lively and precious as can be. Her booboo is already healed up and you can't tell it ever happened.

My two Phoenix hens have tag teamed these eggs and Kagura (pictured) is an amazing mom...... Kagome needs some practice still but she can set like a champ already. I'm pretty sure the two that didn't make it got away from her before they dried out and that's why they didn't make it. Kagome's also the pecker right now (and she ate the head skin on another chick, but I don't know if it was alive or a stillborn when she did it because there was a stillborn under Kagura that same afternoon). I'm considering pulling her off the remaining eggs but I don't want to doom them before they have a chance to hatch. We had a couple sneakers get in there and drop late eggs (about 8 days in) so we're close to expiration on all of them.

What do y'all think? Let her ride till the end and she if she gets the job description right, or go ahead and pull her? She hasn't been aggressive at all to the first two, but she doesn't dote on them quite as much as Kagura does. She did, however, tech them how to eat and drink while Kagura stayed tight on her eggs. She's like the cool aunt, I swear.

As far as the eggs go they're mixed lineage barnyard birds so I'm not keeping track of parentage on them yet. They were left so I can see who my best setters are and prepare for a proper breeding pair setup with them. I've got plenty of broods to come since they're all right at a year old.

This is my sweet little family, and Kagome's butt... lol
KAGURAFIRSTHATCH2.jpg

Adorable chicks. It's best to separate setting hens as there can be some confusion when they hatch and chicks can end up pecked or even killed.

What did you end up doing with the rest of the eggs?

Adorable chicks. It's best to separate setting hens as there can be some confusion when they hatch and chicks can end up pecked or even killed.

What did you end up doing with the rest of the eggs?
I brought the last 6 in after finding a still born (one of the girls had plucked the whole shell off but the membrane was completely in tact) and incubated them a couple days longer. Ended up with one more weebee out of them. That baby is now a spoiled hand-raised stinker too. :)

Back
Top Bottom