First time breeding meat rabbits

Simmonsfunnyfrm

Songster
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
Pope County, Arkansas
Hello fellow BYCers!

Seeing as most of my friends are now sick of me talking about my little 'Funny Farm', I just wanted to express my excitement on this special day to people who can better appreciate my new found interest in hobby farming. Since about January this year my husband and I have decided to get into self sufficiency and we are loving it! We have a small garden (that didn't do very well because of the drought, but better than our first attempt last year), an indecent amount of chickens of course, and early this year we decided to start raising meat/fur rabbits. We went with satins because that breed fit our goals best. I have never had rabbits before, nor did I grow up around them so this is all new! We started out with a buck and two does. One doe was a palomino because apparently satins are quite rare around here and we were eager to get started. Sadly, the buck and the satin doe perished in the awful heat wave we had in late June. Then a couple weeks ago I was out taking care of the Palomino and realized she had grown some man bunny parts
roll.png
. So, from the start it hasn't been the easiest thing we've attempted. However, yesterday we broke down and made a 4 hour round trip to get some good quality satin does! One is a Chinchilla color, 8 months old, and the other is a yearling Chocolate that has had one litter already. Best of all, both are ready to be bred today! I don't fully expect them to take since my palomino buck is only 6 months old and I have read they mature closer to 7 months, but I figure it's not gonna be hard on him like it would a female so why not try? I do wish he were a satin but like I said, these are ultimately meat rabbits so I don't think it will matter that much on the first few litters to use him til I can trade him. Anyhow, thanks for reading! I am just very excited to finally be at this point in my rabbitry and our journey to self sufficiency. Have any rabbit stories or breeding tips? Feel free to share! I'm confident that I have done my homework in the rabbit department, but I'm still new and still learning!

You might want to try Backyard Herds. They have some excellent meat rabbit threads over there.

Back
Top Bottom