First time hatching eggs, advice?

wanttobefarmer

Songster
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Elgin, TX
I just won an auction on byc for some fertile eggs. I am putting my hova bator together tomm. I beleive that I let the eggs sit for a day before putting them in the bator and then I just put them in and wait for them to hatch. Also when do I candle them? and can I add other eggs to the bator say a few weeks into the incubating? how long do I wait before I take them out of the bator and into the brooder? Thanks for any help

There is a little more to it than just putting eggs into a bator and waiting for them to hatch. Do you have the instructions that came with your bator? They are a pretty good read.

I like to candle my eggs every time I add water to the bator. I wouldn't throw any away until 2 weeks into the incubation period, just to play it safe. Sometimes I can be surprised by what makes it... but the more I hatch, the easier it is to tell when an egg is no longer viable.

If you have never done this before, I would NOT add more eggs after the first batch you put in. Let them hatch and then start a second round. Don't mix it up.

As soon as all my eggs hatch, I take them out and put them into the brooder.

caf.gif

Hi-google "hatching eggs in an incubator" and you will be directed to Backyard Chickens forums. I believe when you get your eggs you place them big end up for twelve hours and then put them in the incubator. Set up your incubator twentyfour hours ahead of time to be sure the the temp is set. You also have to turn them three times a day-preferably six. then if they hatch they go in the brooder as babychicks. Get on line and READ READ READ. I set my first batch of eggs and had none hatch. Despite following all directions.Had a thirty percent hatch rate on eggs started in the incubator and moved under a broody hen. Lost 3/4 of them by not following advice to seperate mom from other hens.
Read and learn from your backyard chickenites! There is a wealth of info they are willing to share-trick is to LISTEN to it!

dancegirl2.gif
Welcome and it is my first ever time to try and hatch some eggs as well. I had 21 eggs shipped to me on Thursday. But yes read, read, read on here
reading.gif
...all the info. is here (but everyone most of the time has different opinions!
3ztzsjm.gif
) so read some more and then make your own judgment call!

I set them up in an egg carton big end up for almost 24hrs, and left them out at room temp.

I had my Genesis Hova Bator 1588 running since Sunday! I just had to make sure that I could keep the temps and humidity that people told me to use ect.

I bought a digital hygrometer/thermometer and put it in with my eggs..it has been running at 50% Humidity and 100.4 temp. ever since I put my eggs in...this bator is awesome (so far!)
n7.gif

I check it every hour or more because I can't stay away from it.

I pulled out two eggs because I then read that you don't put dirty pooey eggs in ect...so I made a judgment call and took two out!

Enjoy and I hope you have a great hatch...chicken thoughts your way!

And don't forget to READ everything you can on here
computer3.gif
...otherwise ask
interview.gif
...chicken people are awesome!

Back
Top Bottom