First time prolapse in pullet?

flashlight

Chirping
Jul 10, 2022
I have twelve five-month-old pullets. Two of them started laying recently, and the others are starting to act like they're getting ready, too. I have one New Hampshire Red who seemed totally normal all day, eating and running around as usual, but at bedtime, I noticed this when she got on the roosting bar. As far as I know, she still has not laid her first egg, but she may be about to. Anyway, there's a small bit of poop around the vent, and no bleeding that I can see so far. I'm going back out there soon to see if I can clean her up and push that back in, but I wanted to be sure that this is prolapse I'm seeing and how serious it looks to you all. Thank you for any advice.

20221218_171728.jpg

Update: I went to bring her inside, and the prolapse is gone and her butt looks pretty normal again. It's a little red, but the major problem seems to have resolved itself, at least for now. Is that common? I will keep an eye on her closely for the next few days.

Another update. All seemed well this morning. Just now, I went out to check on them as they free-range in the afternoon until bedtime. I noticed my NHR preening, so I took a peek at her rear end, and sure enough, the prolapse was back. It looked just like it did last night. I scooped her up and took her into the coop for a closer inspection, and by the time I got into the coop, it had gone back in on its own again like last night. I followed her around for a few minutes, and she pooped without issue and continued foraging and eating like normal. She wouldn't let me get a picture of her butt today, unfortunately.

Can anyone please advise me on this? Is this normal for a pullet that's getting close to laying for the first time? We're planning to go out of town next weekend for Christmas, so I am a little nervous leaving her if this issue continues.

Back
Top Bottom