First time TSC chicks and Broody Mama!

Learned a bit of a sad lesson today- after sticking the initial chicks under a broody, you can't add anymore later on...

We swung by a feed store yesterday and impulsively bought a single olive egger chick- those green eggs had been calling for a while now. The chicks were about a week old and the chick we brought home was lively with a slight case of pasty butt... I stuck her under our broody and at first she pecked a little, but I took the chick out and tried again after a few minutes and she sat on the baby all night long. (I even checked in at 1am and the new baby was doing just fine.) I went out to the coop this morning around 10am, and found the little one dead. It doesn't look like my hen pecked her, so I'm not sure what she may have died of... the other chicks were standing close to the body (they're all fine). The deceased little one did have poop stuck to its vent again and some hay in its mouth- possibly choked? I don't know. I feel absolutely terrible... she was such a sweet little chick and I was ready to raise her by hand if my broody rejected her. I called the feed store and they 24hr live chick policy, but I don't think it'd be right to try again 😔
Aww. I'm so sorry. That's so sad. I have no idea why she died, but wanted to say I'm sorry.

The striped chick is a black breasted red old english game bantam. Sending you hugs!
Oooooh! Thank you so much!

Mama 'Helen's actually submitted for an early retirement so we have the chicks inside as of today while she's being fattened up and reintergrated with the flock... unfortunately, I think my buff is going to be a roo🥲 still holding onto hope though! The comb may be big but the feet/legs aren't and there are no spur bumps yet!

Back
Top Bottom