First timer needs help!

Hutslark

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2022
Hi! First time hatching and I had six silky eggs shipped and only one is left in the incubator. I have one broody hen that has been brooding for about a week and a half in the coop. I am on day 18 in the incubator with my one egg. Should I take it out and put it under the broody hen to finish the hatch? 😬 Or should I wait until it hatches and put a brand new day old chick under the broody hen? OR should I wait to introduce the brand new chick until much later when the chick is stronger and hope they bond? Just want peoples opinions on what they would do….I only have one baby and it’s my first time. Thanks!!

I would wait until it hatches and then introduce it to her as soon as it’s dry and fluffed. If you take it out now you have a high risk of it not hatching, or struggling to hatch. If you try to introduce it later she may attack it.
I always introduced day old chicks to broody hens at night when they’re nice a peaceful, especially if she hasn’t currently got any chicks. But you may also want to seperate her and the baby in a separate pen so the other hens don’t attack the baby and it doesn’t get lost/trapped anywhere.
Good luck!

I'd go differently. As long as the egg has not pipped I'd put it under the broody now, day or night. Part of the bonding process is the hen and chick talking to each other after the chick internally pips and before it externally pips. I think your odds are a bit better. There is no guarantee that egg will actually hatch either under the broody or in the incubator but I'd take my chances with the hen, especially your first time

I also think your chances of the hen and chick bonding are excellent if you do hatch the chick yourself and put it under her. I've done that. Slip the chick under her when it is dark and check on them at first light. Put the chick under her as soon after it dries off as you can and it still be at night. Many hens will take then anyway but again I think your odds are better at night. A couple of days old is OK but of you go beyond three days old your odds of them bonding drop.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom