first winter

howardtheduck585

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2022
greetings friends.

i have 1 rouen duck that i hatched this spring. i built him a house outback. he should be well sheltered from wind and precipitation. we live in western NY, so we will have some very cold nights. everything i am reading says that ducks do not need a heat source installed in the duck house...but since im new to this, i am uneasy about leaving him out there without. also the fact that he is alone ,there are no other ducks for him to huddle up with.

would love and appreciate some insight and advise...cheers friends!

It would be really nice if he had some duck friends to hang out with, have you thought about that?
As for winter as long as he has shelter without the wind blowing over him and plenty of deep bedding he should be fine. You want to make sure he has access to drinking water so if possible maybe a heated dog bowl or bucket? TSC or online. And good feed.

he definitely needs another duck or needs to be rehomed, ducks need other ducks.

i've heard so many people say that ducks do fine in freezing weather but mine HATE it. they will lay down and quack until i carry them back in lol
i for sure plan to get another egg next spring. this guy showed up in my yard as a single egg this spring. he is the best, so i want to give him the best. another duck friend to be with

It would be really nice if he had some duck friends to hang out with, have you thought about that?
As for winter as long as he has shelter without the wind blowing over him and plenty of deep bedding he should be fine. You want to make sure he has access to drinking water so if possible maybe a heated dog bowl or bucket? TSC or online. And good feed.
thankyou :)

Back
Top Bottom