Fivw week old chick with odd crop

Opiumbrella

Songster
Jul 30, 2021
So I have a five week old blue Plymouth Rock, she is very active, and healthy as far as I cAn see. But there is one thing that bugs me.
Her crop when full kind of hangs and swings in an odd way. It emptying normally, every night. But then by the next day as she eats it gets big and saggy/swinging again.
I've never had a chick with a crop like this. Is this normal in some chickens? Should I be worried?

If it's emptying, it's probably ok. Some chickens with large crops can develop a condition called pendulous crop, which is a crop that hangs low and doesn't empty fully.

She may just be a piggy and engorges herself. Pics will help.

Ok. I will post some tomorrow. Is there anything I can do to decrease her chances of having issues?
Lol. Do they make crop bras?

If it's emptying, it's probably ok. Some chickens with large crops can develop a condition called pendulous crop, which is a crop that hangs low and doesn't empty fully.

She may just be a piggy and engorges herself. Pics will help.
Ok, it was a joke lol. I was seriously thinking "hey maybe I can make her a bra to support her sagy crop" and apparently his is ALREADY ACTUALLY A THING!
I have noticed every morning when I go in to turn on the lights and change their water and such her crop is not full and saggy. But I took out their food tonight just to double check. And will see if her crop is normal in the am. And will proceed with a bra for her if it is, hopefully this will keep her ok. She is growing very fast, the dominant little hen chick in the pen, very active, and healthy seeming. And I've noticed her crop seemed large and odd since day one. My MIL has been saying "some chickens just have bigger crops, it's emptying so you don't need to worry" but of course I do lol. I have wanted these blue beauties for a long time. And want to do whatever I can to make sure she is happy and healthy like everyone else.
I'll post pictures of her full crop and of her new bra lol. Thanks for the reply.

Ok, it was a joke lol. I was seriously thinking "hey maybe I can make her a bra to support her sagy crop" and apparently his is ALREADY ACTUALLY A THING!
I have noticed every morning when I go in to turn on the lights and change their water and such her crop is not full and saggy. But I took out their food tonight just to double check. And will see if her crop is normal in the am. And will proceed with a bra for her if it is, hopefully this will keep her ok. She is growing very fast, the dominant little hen chick in the pen, very active, and healthy seeming. And I've noticed her crop seemed large and odd since day one. My MIL has been saying "some chickens just have bigger crops, it's emptying so you don't need to worry" but of course I do lol. I have wanted these blue beauties for a long time. And want to do whatever I can to make sure she is happy and healthy like everyone else.
I'll post pictures of her full crop and of her new bra lol. Thanks for the reply.
Pendulous crop usually takes a while to develop. She's really young for a crop bra.

Maybe they have crop training bras? 🤣

Even if it is just due to a physical abnormality? She has had a large/low hanging crop since I bought her.

Here are some pics. I'm not sure if it didn't empty or if she was food scratched out Of the feeder into the bedding. It feels kind of squishy, no sour smell. And she seems VERY HUNGRY.
What can I do for my poor baby?
I gave her a tiny bit of yogurt (Greek) and separated her with water and no food. How long should it take for it to go down? She is pooping. But it was a bit darkish green.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom