fixing ammonia smell with deep litter method

Try to get around 10 square feet of draft free ventilation.

I have about the same birds per footprint.

I have deep liter.

I have no issues, and over 1 square foot of draft free ventilation per bird.

With deep litter, if you're smelling anything then you need more ventilation and more litter. DLM is one of those things that works best if you leave it alone. I toss any mounds of poo from under the roost onto the coop floor and cover it with either shavings, shredded newspaper, or leaves and then leave it alone. I have 7 girls in an 8 x 10 coop and don't have any odor.

Don't use DE or any type of pest or bug killers in the coop as it will kill all the good critters and bacteria that helps the DL to break down. Ventilation and plenty litter should be all you need. Any turning of the litter at the upper levels is done by the chickens.

Good luck!

just thinking out loud; no proof, but might also look for a lower protein feed; or at least don't feed a high-protein feed. My local feed store has a 16% and 21% protein feed. I fed the 21% for awhile, thinking it might give better eggs, but I couldn't tell any difference and if anything, it decreased production. Also, the higher protein is tougher on their kidneys and would produce more ammonia.

I use coarse pine shavings. They absorb the moisture great and I have very little odor. In the morning I spread Boss in the shavings in my coop and they turn the shavings looking for the seeds. I have a light that comes on in the a/m and by them always turning the shavings they stay dry to a degree and the odor is minimum.By the light coming on early they start moving around earlier. This gives them more time to keep the shavings turned over.I add some occasionally and this helps keeps it fresh. I add as I see that it needs to be done and I have no issues. I'll completely clean this spring and start all over again. I spring clean once a year. Every once in awhile I will put a bale of hay or straw in the run, but this is so they can play and scratch in it looking for whatever goodies that may be in it.

Here's a vid that may help you see how it all works, the ventilation and the materials that help it all work to compost better:
0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom