Fixing splayed leg in 2 week chick

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
Is it possible to fix a splayed leg in a 2 week chick ? I had a white silkie that hatched around 16 days ago which had a curled toe. I put that in a splint which straighten out the toes. Kept it around a week and just removed it this morning.

The foot has notw straightened out, however upon further observation i have noticed that the same legg is slightly jutting outwards and causes a bit of a splay when the chick walks. This seems to have been missed previously!

Can this be fixed with the rubber band method or is it too late at this stage ?

Is it possible to fix a splayed leg in a 2 week chick ? I had a white silkie that hatched around 16 days ago which had a curled toe. I put that in a splint which straighten out the toes. Kept it around a week and just removed it this morning.

The foot has notw straightened out, however upon further observation i have noticed that the same legg is slightly jutting outwards and causes a bit of a splay when the chick walks. This seems to have been missed previously!

Can this be fixed with the rubber band method or is it too late at this stage ?
I got my babies at a little over a week old and one had splayed leg. I did the rubberband method and was able to correct it.

Although it's best to address the splay leg as early as possible, why not try? I like to use elastic bandaging, like Vetrap, to make a "hobble" for the splay leg.

It's also possible that your chick has a varus or valgus deformity - a photo would help.
This is the method I use as well. I like it as it's flexible, yet keeps the legs where they should be, and easy to change it twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom