Flapping Wings

AKMommaF8

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 15, 2011
Palmer, Alaska
Hi Y'all! I have 10 geese, in 3 pens. One pen has a 2 yo Toulouse pair with their lone gosling, one has (4) 1 year Toulouse old hens, (They share a fence line as they're new to each other. Eventually they'll all be together, but I'm letting them get acquainted safely. Especially with the gosling...) The last pen is separate & farther away. It has a pair of Pilgrim and my special needs Toulouse hen, Skully. She's in with then because they've bonded since I put them in with her last year (Skully is around 7 or 8 & adopts / loves everyone!) & the gander doesn't mess with her. Due to her twisted frame, she's smaller, like a Pilgrim, & I was afraid the larger Toulouse would squish her if I moved her in with them.

All this set up JUST to say that recently both Skully and the 4 hens have taken to flapping their wings and running toward me when they see me coming to feed them. They've never done this before. They are not hissing or angry looking... they actually look happy! 🤷🏼‍♀️ Do geese get exited & show emotion or am I reading way too much into it? TIA

Hi Y'all! I have 10 geese, in 3 pens. One pen has a 2 yo Toulouse pair with their lone gosling, one has (4) 1 year Toulouse old hens, (They share a fence line as they're new to each other. Eventually they'll all be together, but I'm letting them get acquainted safely. Especially with the gosling...) The last pen is separate & farther away. It has a pair of Pilgrim and my special needs Toulouse hen, Skully. She's in with then because they've bonded since I put them in with her last year (Skully is around 7 or 8 & adopts / loves everyone!) & the gander doesn't mess with her. Due to her twisted frame, she's smaller, like a Pilgrim, & I was afraid the larger Toulouse would squish her if I moved her in with them.

All this set up JUST to say that recently both Skully and the 4 hens have taken to flapping their wings and running toward me when they see me coming to feed them. They've never done this before. They are not hissing or angry looking... they actually look happy! 🤷🏼‍♀️ Do geese get exited & show emotion or am I reading way too much into it? TIA
My two pilgrims do that all the time. I definitely get the idea that they are excited. They have started doing that to my duck flock to herd them around too so I suppose they have lots of different reasons for doing it. If they're coming at you though, I'd definitely say excited.

Back
Top Bottom