Flies in coop/run

I’ve had this issue from time to time. For me, seems like it’s only a 7-10 day issue. The first couple years I had birds I got traps, researched wether I could feed back the dead flies, etc. Year three on, I just let them go. They were gone a week later and the birds were none the worse. I don’t know specifically where they lay eggs, but I haven’t found a way to prevent a hatch o black flies in the coop.

To those who use the sticky traps:
Somehow one of my hens got a fly trap stuck on her and she was running all over the yard with it, my bf got it out off her feathers somehow but lesson learned, be cautious of where u hang those things lol.

Wanted to come back and thank you. I got these exact traps and it has made a HUGE difference in the run. I can’t believe how fast it filled up and how few flies are messing around in the actual run and coop now. Really appreciate the help!

Believe it or not.. Those yellow tree car air freshener vanilla scent works to keep flies away. Also another trick is to put a green zest soap bar in a stocking and hang it in the coop.
Sticky traps can be dangerous if chicks get stuck on them. Also those add water fly traps need to be kept far from your coop because it will attract more flies… Just my 2 cents. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend you hang the bag at least 30 feet from your coop and nowhere near where you like to sit and relax. They're a stinky attractant and they call in flies from EVERYWHERE. Put it away from the coop to draw flies to it instead of your coop/ run or house. Mine is at the back of my property line.

I put my chicks outside In their coop and run 2 days ago and already there are TONS of flies in side the coop and around the run. It's not poop buildup since its only been 2 days. We only give them grower feed right now so it's not from food scraps. Is this just part of chickens or is something not right? We had some crazy rain for a few days prior to me putting them outside but haven't had any rain since then. Im in Florida so it's definitely hot but im just surprised by how many flies have already congregated in the chicken area.
We use horse pellets on the floor that dry up the poop so that keeps them down. When they come over by the hoards from the neighbor's horse barn, I spray two "dots" of PT Alpine on either side of the window where they hang out the worst. In a few minutes, they're all dead. It keeps working for a month.

The dead flies are safe for the chickens to eat.

I would recommend you hang the bag at least 30 feet from your coop and nowhere near where you like to sit and relax. They're a stinky attractant and they call in flies from EVERYWHERE. Put it away from the coop to draw flies to it instead of your coop/ run or house. Mine is at the back of my property line.
We used to use these and sure, they draw flies and the more flies you get, the less can reproduce, but God the smell. We found PT Alpine and spray just two dots per month on either side of the window and it kills them all. Safe for chickens to eat the dead flies too.

Back
Top Bottom