Flock Block Substitute

Bloveschickens

Songster
5 Years
Oct 18, 2014
My Coop
My Coop
Has anyone made their own flock block substitute before? How did it turn out for you?

I made one today and it turned out pretty well, but my chickens are not as excited about it as I was hoping
hmm.png
. 2 of my 4 chickens peck at it a little, but the other 2 seem scared of it. I was happy that it stayed in one place but am a little disappointed that the chickens are not as happy about it as I thought they would be. I was excited though that it stayed together and I was able to hang it.

I based my recipe of of The Chicken Chick's version but did not follow it exactly because I didn't have all the ingredients. Here is the link to her recipe if anyone wants to try.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/10/flock-block-substitute-recipe-healthy.html

I am going to leave my flock block out and will tell you if the chickens' feelings toward it changes, also I will post some picture later because my phone is dead right now.

I would love to hear different recipes you have used as well as pictures and stories of how your chickens liked the final product.

Last edited:
Has anyone made their own flock block substitute before? How did it turn out for you?

I made one today and it turned out pretty well, but my chickens are not as excited about it as I was hoping
hmm.png
. 2 of my 4 chickens peck at it a little, but the other 2 seem scared of it. I was happy that it stayed in one place but am a little disappointed that the chickens are not as happy about it as I thought they would be. I was excited though that it stayed together and I was able to hang it.

I based my recipe of of The Chicken Chick's version but did not follow it exactly because I didn't have all the ingredients. Here is the link to her recipe if anyone wants to try.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/10/flock-block-substitute-recipe-healthy.html

I am going to leave my flock block out and will tell you if the chickens' feelings toward it changes, also I will post some picture later because my phone is dead right now.

I would love to hear different recipes you have used as well as pictures and stories of how your chickens liked the final product.

I made one recently and the girls seem to like it. Can't remember the exact recipe, but basically I melted the suet added cracked corn, bird seed with fruit pieces and let it set overnight. They don't devout it, but several of them have a snack before bedtime. I've seen them pecking at it during the day too, especially when it's colder out.
smile.png

Cool! I am going to see how they like it tomorrow, maybe they just have to learn that the treat isn't going to hurt them before they really start eating it. Also, as promised I will post pictures tomorrow.

As promised, here are the picture of the flock block I made

This morning I made them some grits and spread them on the flock block and seemed to like that. Maybe they will realize it's a treat and keep pecking at it when the grits are gone. Now my welsummer Pickles is the only one still scared of it, the rest of them realize it's a treat, so I guess that that is good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom