Flock integration advice needed

JulieCB

Chirping
May 20, 2020
Central Virginia
A couple of weeks ago I wrote and asked about adding new birds to my existing flock. At that time we had lost 2 of 4 hens and I was wondering about adding additional pullets. Everyone was in agreement that it was better to do it sooner rather than later so three days ago, we brought home four new girls (9 weeks ) and set them up in their own run with the idea of integrating them slowly over the next few weeks. But the morning after we brought them home, one of our older hens became suddenly ill and we had to euthanize her today for a presumed reproductive system tumor. So now we are left with one lone hen, cold weather and molting season approaching, and I am wondering if we should try to immediately integrate the younger birds so that she is not alone. She has taken to her nesting box for most of the day, and has become very secluded (she is a 3.5 year old RIR and never broody before). I know we run the risk of bringing disease to her, because the new girls have not been isolated long enough but I am wondering which would be worse at this point. Hoping someone with more experience than I can offer some suggestions. Gratefully.

I know we run the risk of bringing disease to her, because the new girls have not been isolated long enough but I am wondering which would be worse at this point. Hoping someone with more experience than I can offer some suggestions. Gratefully.
You are right that there is a risk of the hen catching some disease, but I can't see that 4 sick birds would be much better than 5 sick birds (new pullets vs. new pullets plus older hen.) I would be more concerned about whether the older hen has some disease that all 4 pullets might catch, but waiting will probably not help much if they are going to live with her eventually.

For the actual integration, with just one adult hen, I would probably do it this way:

Put the pullets in the main coop & run (where you want the entire group to live.) Give them a few days to get comfortable in that space, while the older hen lives in another pen. If possible, put the older hen where she can see the pullets and interact through wire mesh.

After a few days, let the hen in with the pullets and watch what happens. Since you only have the one older hen, her reaction is going to be very important. She might accept the pullets easily, or she might try to bully them badly, or she might do something in between. If she is a nasty bully, try a longer period of look-no-touch (maybe several weeks), then let them together again and see how it goes.

You are right that there is a risk of the hen catching some disease, but I can't see that 4 sick birds would be much better than 5 sick birds (new pullets vs. new pullets plus older hen.) I would be more concerned about whether the older hen has some disease that all 4 pullets might catch, but waiting will probably not help much if they are going to live with her eventually.

For the actual integration, with just one adult hen, I would probably do it this way:

Put the pullets in the main coop & run (where you want the entire group to live.) Give them a few days to get comfortable in that space, while the older hen lives in another pen. If possible, put the older hen where she can see the pullets and interact through wire mesh.

After a few days, let the hen in with the pullets and watch what happens. Since you only have the one older hen, her reaction is going to be very important. She might accept the pullets easily, or she might try to bully them badly, or she might do something in between. If she is a nasty bully, try a longer period of look-no-touch (maybe several weeks), then let them together again and see how it goes.
Thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom