Flooding around chicken run - any ideas?

Don't use a pipe. Use a "tile". It's what farmers use in wet fields.
What do you mean by "tile"? My neighbor behind me built a massive garage/workshop and the water sits between our properties instead of draining as it did before. It will eventually drain but it takes days instead of a couple of hours now.

What do you mean by "tile"? My neighbor behind me built a massive garage/workshop and the water sits between our properties instead of draining as it did before. It will eventually drain but it takes days instead of a couple of hours now.
Google drain tiles...and read the answer they already gave:
Tiling a field. This is done in fields that don't let go of water very well. In the spring water keeps the field too cold to plant, and may make it difficult to use heavy equipment.

It is a wide plastic pipe with little holes along one side. (I suppose they may be made with more holes). The holes are laid on the down side. This is so water seeps up from the bottom. If the holes were on the top soil would drop in. Tractor Supply probably has tile and they will show you how to use it. There is equipment to open the earth and drop the tile, but you probably wouldn't need it.

Hey,
Any ideas for this particular issue? I've got a chicken run that has a hardwood chip cover on the bottom, tarpaulin over the top of it, but it's on a concrete standing so unfortunately our wild rain the past couple of days has finally decided to start flooding. Usually, it will evaporate pretty quickly - but as the wind is not strong at the moment and the sun isn't out, it's not getting a chance!
Any ideas? I was thinking potentially more wood chips in the run to help raise them up, but I've just used my last bag and more will take a while to get here. I also saw something about using sand...would using sand around the outside help? Any ideas welcome!
(Excuse the mess - in the middle of the weekly clean!)
Sandbags helped me this week. I was pleasantly surprised. Amazon cheap, filled them with fill from the town. I'm happy to have them moving forward. Good luck. I'll be digging a trench this spring.

Back
Top Bottom