Flooring question on my Coop

footballcoachmiller

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 24, 2009
Dandridge, TN
I am building a new coop in the next few weeks and I was thinking about putting in a 1/2 inch by 1 inch wire bottom, is there a reason not to use wire flooring? The coop at the moment is going to be 4' x 24' divided into 3 8' foot long sections with outside hanging laying boxes and the floor will be around 30" off the ground. I figured it would make for easy cleaning just shovel it out from underneath the coop. I have not seen a coop like this so I thought I would ask if there is a reason it is not done this way.

I am also new and planning to build a coop in the next few weeks too. Maybe get on it tomorrow. As for flooring, I am putting down plywood covered in cheap vinyl flooring. It will be covered in straw and pinechips which the birds can scratch in. I was told the vinyl would make it slick to help in cleaning out the old material and also, the layers of straw and pine should help insulate in the cold weather. Maybe someone else can better help with your question, but just wanted to give you my two cents since I am somewhat in the same boat. Picking up my dozen plus chicks next week. Good Luck.

I think a lot depends on location, location, location! I saw TN, but don't know your winters. You wouldn't want cold air blowing up through the flooring under them in the winter time (cold drafts are a big no-no for health reasons). So unless the 3 ft. elevation was blocked off over the winter so that couldn't happen, you might have problems.
And then you have think about whether it's hard on their feet or not. I don't know that answer, although I wouldn't want my girls to walk around on wire (mine are pets). I would do a search on wire flooring here on byc.

My coops have ply wood floors. Just shovel the poop out. As far as wire mesh it could be hard on there feet. if they spend a long time in the coop say a long wet rainy week. They could get sores or bumble foot where the foot sweels up and hard to walk on. You don't want cold air blowing up on your chickens in the winter. Just my thoughs but it sure would make it easy for clean up. How about a slide out floor tray that would hold the poop on for easy clean up?

Back
Top Bottom