Flubendazole 1% premixture question for Gapeworm

I've just lost her. I'm gutted, and it was horrible to watch. But I now want to check to see if it was Gape. What is the best way to go about it, cutting the throat?

I've just lost her. I'm gutted, and it was horrible to watch. But I now want to check to see if it was Gape. What is the best way to go about it, cutting the throat?
I'm sorry about your hen:hugs

If you can, explore more than just the trachea/throat.
It doesn't have to be professional, but it would be a very good idea to also look at the internal organs (liver, heart, reproductive system) and what the abdominal cavity looks like as well.

If I were going to cut long the trachea, I would use a good sharp pair of scissors. In fact, scissors are usually my go to when I lose one and investigate further.

The video below may be helpful to you - it's long, but you can of course scroll through it, the internals are labeled and the photos/video is a good reference of what things should somewhat look like.
If you are up to it, take photos of what you see, we may be able to help i.d. certain things or give suggestions as to what you find.
I know it won't be easy for you to do this, so I commend you on making the decision to take a closer look.

I'm 99.9% sure one of my girls has Gapeworm. It should be confirmed tomorrow when I receive the lab test results. Gurgling sounds, stretching her neck to get her breath, and her head shaking that to be quite honest frightened the life out of me. There are no runny eyes or nose that you would also associate with a respiratory infection. I think she caught it from eating an infected earthworm. I regularly went outside digging up the borders so my 5 girls could fight over the worms. We also have a lot of magpies in the garden at this time of year which I believe are significant carriers of the disease. I treated her, and the rest of the flock on Tuesday with Ivermectin on the back of the neck, 4 drops each. There was significant headshaking and coughing shortly after treatment, and after a few days, she seemed to pick up somewhat. She started eating, and her drinking improved. Today the gurgling has come back and I'm worried she's going to relapse. I realized shortly after treatment that Ivermectin doesn't eradicate adult Gapeworms, which I assume is the issue here. For this reason, I have ordered and expect an arrival on Tuesday of Flubendazole 1% medicated premixture. The problem I think I'm going to have is getting her to eat the food it is mixed in with. My question is, can this be dissolved in water so I can give it to her through a pipette (I'm not a fan of syringing) or could I mix it with some coconut oil to make some small pills to get down to her? If yes to either of the above, what would the doses be? I'm sorry for the long post, but I just don't want to lose this girl. I look forward to any advice and thank you in advance.
Where did you buy the flubendazole? I think my roo has gapeworm. But I didn't have a vet and not sure where to get the fluben. Any way!

Where did you buy the flubendazole? I think my roo has gapeworm. But I didn't have a vet and not sure where to get the fluben. Any way!
The OP has not been on in almost a year.

Are you in the UK? If not, then you will not be able to get Flubendazole in the U.S.

Do you have a thread about your Rooster? What are his symptoms?
Where are you located in the world?

Gapeworm is not that common, could he have a respiratory illness, canker or crop problem instead?

If you feel it's necessary to treat for Gapeworm and are in the U.S. you can use Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer (Fenbendazole) as treatment.

Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Back
Top Bottom