Fluker's won't read above 39%

Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! My brand new Flukers Thermo / Hygro read 71% when I checked it for accuracy prior to using it for the first time. That was close enough to deal with.
After using it 4 days in a hatcher, it wouldn't read higher than 39%. I took it apart and blew out the chick fluff and checked it again and it still won't read higher than 39%. Temperature is correct.
Where is the part in this gadget that 'reads humidity' and can I clean it?
flukers004.jpg

I'm guessing it's the white rectangle bit on the right, but ??

Thanks!
smile.png

Lisa

I hate Fluker's. They supposedly make their products for reptiles and amphibians, and ought to be reliable, but they are absolutely CRAP. When we got our ball python, we bought a nice, expensive thermostat (proportional, etc.), then bought the Fluker's thermo/hygro thinking it would do just fine--how bad could a thermometer be anyway? Then, for days I thought the thermostat was fluctuating wildly and I got really teed off at the manufacturer for making such a piece of junk and selling it as top of the line. Luckily, they were really super nice and helpful, and the first thing they did was ask me what kind of thermometer I was using. When I told them, they said "throw it away or take it back if you can get your money back. Get an Acurite at Walmart or buy a thermometer from our site. Let us know if you still have problems." And of course I didn't. The thermostat hummed along PERFECTLY (wish I still had that thermostat--would be awesome for a homemade incubator). I just had a crappy thermometer that was fluctuating wildly in its readings.

So, anyway. Get a new thermometer/hygrometer. I like Acurite--they are cheap and reliable. Available at Walmart. Return the Fluker's and don't buy that brand of ANYTHING again--I just don't trust them to have the well-being of my animals at heart, when they can produce such crap and sell it to unsuspecting reptile owners (can you imagine how many poor critters have been cooked and/or chilled due to this thing? It makes me so angry!).

I still shop at Petsmart, but I have let them know how irritating it is that they sell that crap--and they *know* how bad it is. When I returned the thermometer, the lady at the checkout nodded knowingly and said, "Oh yeah. These things fluctuate by as much as 5 degrees." Sheesh.

Funny mine never did that! Must have been a bad product LOL!

Ive had two Flukers and both of them were right on the money with an expensive humidity gadget I borrowed from a friend of mine. So I must have been lucky.

I always wander Walmart about 20 minutes before I find anything, lol! Try the hardware department, especially near the outdoor lighting and so on. They're usually a pretty small display, so you may have to wander up and down the aisles a bit. Or ask an employee if you can find one!

I'm glad not everyone has bad experiences with Fluker's. Maybe it was just a bad batch they were dealing with.
hmm.png

...Fluker's. They supposedly make their products for reptiles and amphibians, and ought to be reliable, but they are absolutely CRAP.

Hi! That may well be true. A friend here in town was on a search for an 'accurate' hygrometer when she started incubating. I recommended Springfields and AccuRites because I've had those in the past that were accurate. She had a bad experience with the first she got that was inaccurate, so she bought and tested several: a Springfield, an AccuRite, another I don't remember, and a Fluker's --- and the Fluker's was the only one of the bunch that was even remotely accurate.
I'd mentioned that all mine were old and getting unreliable and she sent me this Fluker's to try.

Again I ask, where is the part in this gadget that 'reads humidity' and can I clean it?
flukers004.jpg

Thanks!
smile.png

Lisa​

Last edited:
Sorry for going off topic (runs and hides...)...
big_smile.png
I really don't have any idea about the answer to your actual question, though. That's why I had to go run my mouth about something unrelated.
lol.png
Sorry.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom