Fly trap worked great last year- now we have a wierd problem!

AT Hagan, thanks for your great stories of suprising bird nests-haha! Chick -246 thanks for the idea about the beer trap- had never heard of that, never thought of it- I'd love to have an alternative to poison that will really work. We have a serious amount of flies- they multiply so quickly with all the horse poop nearby!

Could be a wren, sparrow- I dont know! I wish I could get a good look at this momma bird- she flies out so quickly- I can't get a good look at her!!

I moved the nest to the outter side of the pen today. it is in the exact same place- just on the outter side, instead of inner. I figure, if I had left it where it was, the baby birds would surely have been eaten by my chickens, this way, if momma returns and cares for them, they have a chance at least.

thanks for all the comments

Your welcome.

I've seen the pop bottle trap all over the web, but no suggestions on what to put in it worked well. I had a buddy that quit drinking so I confiscated all his beer. I don't drink myself, so I came up with this use for it. I get an inch or more of flies each season in each trap. BTW; don't clean out the trap, the dead flies attract even more, just add more beer. Throw it out at the end of the season.

The eggs are wren eggs. Not sure the kind since you live in a different place. Had them nest in our old shed at out cabin the last few years.

Wrens have a little short nubbin of a tail, and sit with the tail straight up, sometimes even angled toward the head. Sparrows have a longer tail, and hold it downward. Both are very busy fly catchers.

I use one of these for fly control near the coop ~ when it is full I just empty it into a plastic bag and put it in the trash. You could dump the dead flies or bury them, but my Beagle loves to roll in stinky stuff! You can buy replacement tubes of bait ~ I call it "Liquid Stink".
sickbyc.gif

2212174.jpg

wren !
love.gif
at my moms house i put a small bird house in a pine tree right in front of the house 16 years ago..... we have had wrens in it every year since! they are wounderful little birds. the tree is right next to the deck and they will stay and hand out all day with us even when there is alot of company over, they entertain everyone and never get scared off. you can try to move the nest , the female will watch you like a hawk so she will know were you are putting it, she wont abandon it as long as she sees you do it she will know its her nest, ive have had to relocate many bird nests for safty reasons before and have never had one abandoned just do it slowly .

Back
Top Bottom