Flystrike or broken knee? Thanks for any help.

vonmatter

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2020
Hey guys, Good morning,

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and comments , I’m located in a partially isolated area and can’t reach a vet easily so I appreciate any help.

I’ve been absent for a week on my return my Orpington hen was not walking, on close observation I came across those injuries at the picture, it looked to me to be a possible flystrike but after a good cleaning I’ve found no maggots.

She has been on enrofloxacin and dexamethasone, for a week now, everything looks much better but she can’t extend the leg to a normal position to stand up, she keep trying but her leg keeps pointing to the back of her body almost like she can’t bend her knee right or she can’t pull her leg to the front.

It feels to me I can move her legs normally, doesn’t feel broken to me but she still feels some pain on her knee.

Anyone with experience about it? Came across similar injure?
Thank you so much for all replies.
Best

IMG_8932.jpeg
IMG_8935.jpeg

Last edited:
She's been bruised deeply.

It may be that she needs time to recover from whatever trauma she suffered.
Do you have a rooster?

Keep us with the wound care and see how it goes.
No rooster, it’s a big mistery to me… She was kept inside of the house at small garden in the middle of the living room with other 3 hens during the travel, checked daily. The only thing I could imagine would be a opossum climbing down somehow and stacking her… but there was no noise or sign of anything…

She's been bruised deeply.

It may be that she needs time to recover from whatever trauma she suffered.
Do you have a rooster?

Keep us with the wound care and see how it goes.
Thank you so much for the reply, I’m doing my best to save her …

Is she eating/drinking?
If not, then work on hydration, sometimes they can still be in shock days afterward. A little sugar water or electrolytes can often get them through a crisis.
Offer tidbits of scrambled egg, fish or meat along with her normal feed to add interest to her food. A small amount of watermelon/melon or tomato sometimes will get them perked up as well.

Is she eating/drinking?
If not, then work on hydration, sometimes they can still be in shock days afterward. A little sugar water or electrolytes can often get them through a crisis.
Offer tidbits of scrambled egg, fish or meat along with her normal feed to add interest to her food. A small amount of watermelon/melon or tomato sometimes will get them perked up as well.
Thank you. I’m hand feeding her with vitamins and electrolytes in water :) and hoping for the best.

Maybe I could share more details... so here goes. It seems the biggest problem is that the knee is full extended backwards, or she can’t really bend her gutted leg. So one leg is in normal position and the other with the injured is pointing all the way to the back.

She keeps trying to pull it to the front and stand up, but the leg just don’t go all the way to the front.

Anymore comments please? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom