Fodder Temperatures?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I am considering the what ifs of moving to some place a bit hot and dry.

But to do so I have to figure out if you can grow fodder when its hot? What do you think?

Right now I can grow fodder sprouts from barley in my basement just fine. My basement is about 70 degrees most the time or cooler and they thrive well there.

But if there's no air conditioning and its like 90 degrees outside, then I'm not sure if sprouts would still grow? Or does it just grow slower then? In cooler temperatures also I'm not sure how much you can dip with them being grown outside in a covered shed and have it still work.

Any advise on this?

It would depend on the type of fodder you are trying to grow. They will be less likely to mold at lower temperatures and need less water, but warmer is probably possible if you take precautions to keep them from drying out and molding.

I grow fodder year around in my laundry room. In the winter, it's around 65 degrees in there, and in the summer (which is very hot and dry), it's around 85 degrees. I don't have problems with mold in either season. It does grown noticeably faster in the summer.

For me, the keys to avoiding mold have been to not over soak the seeds when I first start a batch, make that the trays are very well drained after watering, and place the trays in a manner where air can circulate easily around the fodder trays.

I grow fodder year around in my laundry room. In the winter, it's around 65 degrees in there, and in the summer (which is very hot and dry), it's around 85 degrees. I don't have problems with mold in either season. It does grown noticeably faster in the summer.

For me, the keys to avoiding mold have been to not over soak the seeds when I first start a batch, make that the trays are very well drained after watering, and place the trays in a manner where air can circulate easily around the fodder trays.
Wow. Thanks very much for speaking up.

So 85 degrees can work. That's useful to know. (Does humidity matter?)

When I grew it outside, I kept it in the shade. If it was windy, I tucked a tarp around the trays so the wouldn't dry out too much and then tried to hit them with the hose a little more often. I had less mold outside vs inside. May have been due to better air flow. I was growing wheat, which I think is pretty forgiving. Most mold starts after day 5, so if you plan to feed as sprouts instead of mats, you'll have less mold problems.

Back
Top Bottom