food and water in the coop

Ricks Chicks

Songster
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Leicester, Massachusetts
Do I need to keep food and water in the coop for night time? they are in the run all day and go in at dark to sleep. my coop is only 4x4 and the food and water take up floor space. if they don't need it I would rather keep it out side.

No need to keep the food in there but you may get little critters coming for the food if you do keep it outside. As for the water, I would maybe keep a little one in there for them just in case. Water is more important than food for them since "nearly 70% of a hen?s weight is water, an egg contains around 65%. In normal conditions, the average hen will drink 200ml of water a day. In hot weather this can double. A water shortage that continues for up to five hours will cause a hen to eat less. In layers this has the knock-on effect of producing smaller eggs. A shortage of water can also trigger an egg-eating habit as the thirsty bird looks for an alternative source of moisture." That info was copied off of a poultry helpline I found while searching for something else. Very helpful info. So I would leave water ALL the time.

How many birds do you have? Can you get a wall hung feeder? I bought a solid bottom rabbit feeder for my brooder/separation pen.

Right now I have 23 but will be getting more soon
big_smile.png
(heading to a chicken show in early oct) If you go to any fleet farm they have smaller waterer's at Fleet Farm or TSC (tractor supply store) I have also seen them at most feed stores. The feed stores tend to charge more for them though. About the wall hung feeders, there are serveral here who have made wall hung feeders made out of PVC...really cool. I will see if I can find a link for you. BRB

Back
Top Bottom