For the chicken sociologists

shanadienne

Songster
10 Years
Jan 10, 2013
Massachusetts, USA
So, I love observing my chickens but I am also a real nerd about them and since I couldn't find any scientific papers on this I'll pose this question to the community:

Have you noticed your roosters (especially young extra hormonal cockerels) show preference for certain hens in your flock, such as the more mature hens or hens that the specific male in question has observed raising chicks? Or hens with a specific characteristic like feather/body shape?

My hypothesis is that cockerels are attracted to the MILF hen demographic because a hen who has successfully raised chicks is much more likely to hatch and raise *their* chicks and similarly an older hen, all else being equal, has shown a better ability to survive than a younger hen. I have no idea if roosters thinks rounder/curvier hens are older but I know that largely depends on breed.

I'm interested in whatever observations everyone has had in regard to roosters showing preference for specific hens in their flock. I'm aware that in some breeds, roosters tend to choose a primary mate so add any disclaimers as appropriate. My experience is young cockerels will gang up on specific hens and they also get excited about the hens who get nervous/panicky and start clucking nervously, and their absolute favorite is older and/or curvier hens, especially if they have seen the hen raising chicks.

I know it's all anecdotal experience but I'm just curious to see what trends people have observed in their flocks and even if you had any roosters that were outside the norm and had a verifiable kink compared to other male chickens you've owned. Any "data" is of interest to me.

My personal exception to what I've described is a 7 year old rooster I have who has a Thing a silver Easter egger with some black on her tail. I don't know why he has a thing for her (and her silver gene is from him...) but he specifically spends more time with her than other hens she hatched with or the older hens. (I made sure to hatch 1 egg from them this summer because my 7 year old rooster is a sweetheart and he deserves to choose who he reproduces with at least 1 time.)

So, I love observing my chickens but I am also a real nerd about them and since I couldn't find any scientific papers on this I'll pose this question to the community:

Have you noticed your roosters (especially young extra hormonal cockerels) show preference for certain hens in your flock, such as the more mature hens or hens that the specific male in question has observed raising chicks? Or hens with a specific characteristic like feather/body shape?

My hypothesis is that cockerels are attracted to the MILF hen demographic because a hen who has successfully raised chicks is much more likely to hatch and raise *their* chicks and similarly an older hen, all else being equal, has shown a better ability to survive than a younger hen. I have no idea if roosters thinks rounder/curvier hens are older but I know that largely depends on breed.

I'm interested in whatever observations everyone has had in regard to roosters showing preference for specific hens in their flock. I'm aware that in some breeds, roosters tend to choose a primary mate so add any disclaimers as appropriate. My experience is young cockerels will gang up on specific hens and they also get excited about the hens who get nervous/panicky and start clucking nervously, and their absolute favorite is older and/or curvier hens, especially if they have seen the hen raising chicks.

I know it's all anecdotal experience but I'm just curious to see what trends people have observed in their flocks and even if you had any roosters that were outside the norm and had a verifiable kink compared to other male chickens you've owned. Any "data" is of interest to me.

My personal exception to what I've described is a 7 year old rooster I have who has a Thing a silver Easter egger with some black on her tail. I don't know why he has a thing for her (and her silver gene is from him...) but he specifically spends more time with her than other hens she hatched with or the older hens. (I made sure to hatch 1 egg from them this summer because my 7 year old rooster is a sweetheart and he deserves to choose who he reproduces with at least 1 time.)
We have a small flock at the moment until the teenagers grow up, but the rooster seems to give them all about the same attention except for the troublemaker. If one is consistently misbehaving, like running off to the other side of the yard, then screaming because she saw a snake or some stupid thing, he comes running, she squats, he mounts.

Back
Top Bottom