for the very first time..............racoon I suppose.:<(

magsrags

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Staten Island NY
Last evening round 10 pm I checked on my pens before lights out . This morning I awoke to find a hutch housing four, 2 month olds (2araucanas and b2lue andelusions) had only 3 left inside. I got sick to my stomach when I saw the scattered feathers and blood stains of what was apparently the little hen who had begged food from me a day earlier and jumped up on my hand for treats. Need I say more.........
Seems a racoon has found me after near 3 years of raising my backyard chickens.
I am so sad I had let my guard down.....and although they are all generally under good lockdown conditions....this little group I had housed in a bunny hutch this past week to give them more air & freedom as we were hit by sudden heat.
No good......mr. racoon or possibly an opposum???? dragged my little friend in the middle of the night through 3/4" bars bit by bit. The visual of this is making me sick and the feeling of guilt is tremendous.
Her 3 room-mates are obvoiously in shock and I blame myself.

So please beware that although you might not have a current predator problem....that it can appear and ravage your birds at any time.....
and that it is difficult afterwards re-thinking how "I shoulda done things".

hugs.gif
so sorry for your loss!! We all make mistakes that we wish we could do over.
hugs.gif

I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine what you are going through since my girls are still in the house. Sending you some healing thoughts.

so sorry but in my experience, and racoons have killed many, its a coon, possums are opurtoon but coons will do whatever they have to do

that sucks. im sorry.
hugs.gif
i had a huge dog do that to a turkey through standard chain link a couple years ago. maybe that?

Back
Top Bottom