Formex coop

Clean-cut cowboy

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2022
Hello,
Rather new here but have been enjoying reading all the posts. I finally am was able to pick up some land in Colorado springs that I am able to raise some chickens on. Long story short we planned on 3 jersey giants...chicken math...now are looking at 3 jersey giants, 3 buckeyes and 2 bourbon red turkeys in mid may. We were wondering if we build a separate coop/perch for the turkeys, will the large formex be big enough for the chickens. I have a feeling we would be better to customize a plastic shed but thought it better to ask first. For reference it's this coop. Thank you everyone for your help.

Thank you

Short answer: no

I would only put 2 chickens in there, max. Maybe three bantams. It’s only about 9 square feet inside, which is tiny.

Chickens need 4 square feet per hen in the coop, lots more ventilation, and there’s way too many nesting boxes in that coop.

I would highly recommend building your own- there’s many ideas on here for hoop coops or using pallets.

Hello,
Rather new here but have been enjoying reading all the posts. I finally am was able to pick up some land in Colorado springs that I am able to raise some chickens on. Long story short we planned on 3 jersey giants...chicken math...now are looking at 3 jersey giants, 3 buckeyes and 2 bourbon red turkeys in mid may. We were wondering if we build a separate coop/perch for the turkeys, will the large formex be big enough for the chickens. I have a feeling we would be better to customize a plastic shed but thought it better to ask first. For reference it's this coop. Thank you everyone for your help.

Thank you
That coop is teeny tiny. I wouldn't waste my money on it.
Why are you adverse to using a wood shed to convert into a coop?

Thank you everyone. That was what I was afraid of. I am not
That coop is teeny tiny. I wouldn't waste my money on it.
Why are you adverse to using a wood shed to convert into a coop?
Not really adverse, just try hey be are so heavy and want sure if I wanted to put on wheels to make a tractor. Basically wanted to keep the option open. I have also herd that plastic will last a little longer then wood, and easier to keep clean.

Short answer: no

I would only put 2 chickens in there, max. Maybe three bantams. It’s only about 9 square feet inside, which is tiny.

Chickens need 4 square feet per hen in the coop, lots more ventilation, and there’s way too many nesting boxes in that coop.

I would highly recommend building your own- there’s many ideas on here for hoop coops or using pallets.
That was what I was afraid of.. thank you very much.

I have also herd that plastic will last a little longer then wood, and easier to keep clean.
I've seen far more plastic sheds fall apart than wood. A well built wood shed will last decades.
The polymers in plastic degrade with UV exposure making them brittle and prone to fracture.
Plastic sheds are also difficult to modify when the need/desire arises.
Yes, they are probably easier to clean if you feel the need to wash walls, etc. I don't generally bother with that.

Honestly, you can get way better coops (or build your own) for the same price. And others have said, it is really small.

As for the chicken and turkey matter, you CAN keep them together but you really shouldn't. The chickens can give they turkey a disease called histomoniasis, aka, blackhead, which is very deadly in turkeys. Not saying you can't raise both, but it is safest to house them separately.

I've seen far more plastic sheds fall apart than wood. A well built wood shed will last decades.
The polymers in plastic degrade with UV exposure making them brittle and prone to fracture.
Plastic sheds are also difficult to modify when the need/desire arises.
Yes, they are probably easier to clean if you feel the need to wash walls, etc. I don't generally bother with that.
That is a really good point l, I did not think of thank you!!

Honestly, you can get way better coops (or build your own) for the same price. And others have said, it is really small.

As for the chicken and turkey matter, you CAN keep them together but you really shouldn't. The chickens can give they turkey a disease called histomoniasis, aka, blackhead, which is very deadly in turkeys. Not saying you can't raise both, but it is safest to house them separately.
We talked to a few people about that as it was a concern for us as well. They said that we don't really have it in this area due to the dryness of our climate. With that said we may do it anyway just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom