Fosters

Miss beasley

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2021
Kansas City Mo
I have a sweetgrass turkey hen that hatched 6 chicken eggs. She went broody and I don’t have a ton so I gave her chicken eggs. They hatched 4 days ago and she is amazing at mothering. I’ve watched her alot and she’s doing it all so well. Very good with them and they are doing well.
I also have 9 chicks in my home brooder that are about a week older than these 6.

What do you all think about giving the brooder chicks to the turkey mom to raise with the others that she hatched? I prefer the natural environment but not sure if it would work. Two are standard size and 2 polish and 6 bantam breeds. I don’t know if that matters.

Thank you!! This is my first hatch ever and I wasn’t sure how it would go. I’m so happy it’s going so well.

I have a sweetgrass turkey hen that hatched 6 chicken eggs. She went broody and I don’t have a ton so I gave her chicken eggs. They hatched 4 days ago and she is amazing at mothering. I’ve watched her alot and she’s doing it all so well. Very good with them and they are doing well.
I also have 9 chicks in my home brooder that are about a week older than these 6.

What do you all think about giving the brooder chicks to the turkey mom to raise with the others that she hatched? I prefer the natural environment but not sure if it would work. Two are standard size and 2 polish and 6 bantam breeds. I don’t know if that matters.

Thank you!! This is my first hatch ever and I wasn’t sure how it would go. I’m so happy it’s going so well.
Depends on the hen. They all respond differently. I have one hen that ended up with 28 poults of different ages from one week to 3 weeks that she raised very well. My method is to put them in a pen together and watch carefully. If the hen starts cooing to them, she will eventually win them over. If she starts by pecking at them, I remove her immediately and forget about letting her adopt them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom