Foul Pox

May 12, 2022
I went out of town for 4 days. I came back yesterday and noticed that my chicken's combs and waddles were all pretty pale. At first I thought it was possibly frostbite. We did have one night below freezing this weekend and some snow flurries. I went to rub some coconut oil on their Combs and wattles, and that's when I began to notice all the little bumpy warts. They definitely have foul poxs. So now what?

I'm doing my research. Looks like dry foul pox. They are eating and drinking normal. Acting normal. Though egg production has been low the last week, I thought it was because of the weather, now I know it's probably because of this.

what can I do? I know it has to run its course, but is there any treatment I can do to help them? Their little combs and wattles look so sad!

Your chickens should be fine. You can give them rooster booster or some other vitamin supplement if you want, but if they are healthy I don't think it matters.

Are you new to chickens? I don't know where you are located but chickens will slow down and stop laying in the winter when the days are shorter (they need about 12 hours of light to lay regularly) and when hens are off lay their combs shrink and become paler.

Back
Top Bottom